Gas/electric account numbers - new home

Hello,

I have recently purchased a house for the first time and want to sort out my gas and electric. I think the previous tenants used N power and British Gas. Now I have taken meter readings and tried ringing up the suppliers but the automated machines wont let me progress the phone call without my account / reference number. On the website they say things like "the reference number will be on your bill". I don't have a bill because I have just moved in. Does anyone know what I should do? Should I wait for a bill to come in the post?

Kind Regards,

Hello,

I have recently purchased a house for the first time and want to sort out my gas and electric. I think the previous tenants used N power and British Gas. Now I have taken meter readings and tried ringing up the suppliers but the automated machines wont let me progress the phone call without my account / reference number. On the website they say things like "the reference number will be on your bill". I don't have a bill because I have just moved in. Does anyone know what I should do? Should I wait for a bill to come in the post?

Kind Regards,

Just look for the cheapest supplier on line and set up with them. You don't need to know who the currant supplier is to do this.

Try this [advice sourced from yahoo.answers but might not be up-to-date]:

GAS SUPPLY - Call the Transco Meter Helpline on 0870 608 1524. They will tell you the supplier and give you your MPRN number.

ELECTRICITY SUPPLY - Call your local electricity distribution company. You should ask for their Meter Point Administration Service (MPAS). If you are not sure who the company is, contact Energywatch Head Office telephone 0845 9 06 07 08 and offices throughout the UK.

Try this [advice sourced from yahoo.answers but might not be up-to-date]:

GAS SUPPLY - Call the Transco Meter Helpline on 0870 608 1524. They will tell you the supplier and give you your MPRN number.

ELECTRICITY SUPPLY - Call your local electricity distribution company. You should ask for their Meter Point Administration Service (MPAS). If you are not sure who the company is, contact Energywatch Head Office telephone 0845 9 06 07 08 and offices throughout the UK.

This is very good suggestion.

Archived