Teen executed in 1944 may get a new trial

Would someone explain to me how after 70 years Mr Frierson has gathered "new evidence and eye witness reports accounting for Stnney's movements on that particular day"

Why wasn't this so called "new evidence" used in his defence by eyewitnesses back in 1944. Where were these people with their evidence during the actual trial?

On the other side Stinney was tried by an all male white jury and found guilty after only ten minutes of deliberation

I imagine you'd have to ask Mr Frierson for the answer to those questions rather than posing them on a forum based in a city many thousands of miles away.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of this case, the USA permits a 14 year old to be executed? I hope that at least is no longer the case?
It most assuredly is not the case. There were some child executions in the south in the 19th Century I believe, but none under 18 in recent memory.

whats the point?

Quite right. Injustice should be allowed to stand.

the little girls?

he got arrested only because hed talked to them the previous day

Being black probably had something to do with it.

Why wasn't this so called "new evidence" used in his defence by eyewitnesses back in 1944.

A black man boy on trial in the South? In 1944?

How poorly you know your adopted country.

The Scottsboro Boys were nine black teenagers accused of rape in Alabama in 1931. The landmark set of legal cases from this incident dealt with racism and the right to a fair trial. The case included a frameup, an all-white jury, rushed trials, an attempted lynching, an angry mob, and is an example of an overall miscarriage of justice.

LINK

The Scottsboro Boys were given pardons in 2013.

Posthumously.

Because of J. Edgar Hoover's and others' hostility to the Civil Rights Movement, agents of the FBI resorted to outright lying to smear civil rights workers and other opponents of lynching. For example, the FBI disseminated false information in the press about the lynching victim Viola Liuzzo, who was murdered in 1965 in Alabama. The FBI said Liuzzo had been a member of the Communist Party USA, had abandoned her five children, and was involved in sexual relationships with African Americans in the movement.

LINK

Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, and James Chaney, killed by a Ku Klux Klan lynch mob near Meridian, Mississippi. The three young civil rights workers were working to register black voters in Mississippi.

Emmett Till, a 14-year-old black boy brutally murdered in Mississippi in 1955 for reportedly flirting with a white woman.

"Flirting with a white woman". Can you imagine what might happen to witnesses in the George Stinney case whose testimony contradicted the braying of the mob?

Oh pur-lease! :rolleyes:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of this case, the USA permits a 14 year old to be executed? I hope that at least is no longer the case?

Wrong tense. Also it wasnt the USA. It was the state that the 14 year old was living in. I know you wouldnt know much about state's rights in a federal system of government but each state has the right to decide on the matter of having the death penalty or not having the death penalty. These days it's 18 or older anywhere

There were some nasty cases in Britain in the days when hanging was legal. Timothy Evans was one. Ruth Ellis another. The condemned was allowed one appeal for clemency to the Home Secretary and if that was denied he was strung up very shortly afterwards

Poor, simple minded, innocent Timothy Evans was tried, condemned and dispatched with the utmost zeal

Just a thought

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 07:26 ----------

I imagine you'd have to ask Mr Frierson for the answer to those questions rather than posing them on a forum based in a city many thousands of miles away.

I asked because suddenly finding "new evidence" doesnt make much sense to me in a case going back 70 years. Maybe there have been instances where "new evidence" has come to light after many years but I never heard of it happening. The more time passes, the more witnesses and others involved in the case pass away as the decades go by the less chance any new evidence could just suddenly come to light.

Sounds like Hollywood to me

Wrong tense.

You see that question mark at the end that makes it a question..?

Also it wasnt the USA. It was the state that the 14 year old was living in. I know

No you actually don't know.

you wouldnt know much about state's rights in a federal system of government but each state has the right to decide on the matter of having the death penalty or not having the death penalty.

I know a reasonable amount about it thanks. I'm also aware that the Eighth amendmend means that conditions can in effect be imposed across the States, as happened Furman v Georgia.

These days it's 18 or older anywhere

You see, that's all you had to actually say...

There were some nasty cases in Britain in the days when hanging was legal. Timothy Evans was one. Ruth Ellis another. The condemned was allowed one appeal for clemency to the Home Secretary and if that was denied he was strung up very shortly afterwards

Poor, simple minded, innocent Timothy Evans was tried, condemned and dispatched with the utmost zeal

But no, you have to attack someone, anyone, at all, just to try make your beloved USA look whiter than white.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 09:26 ----------

It most assuredly is not the case. There were some child executions in the south in the 19th Century I believe, but none under 18 in recent memory.

Thanks. Is that actually an official position as it were or are people just skirting clear of it?

Would someone explain to me how after 70 years Mr Frierson has gathered "new evidence and eye witness reports accounting for Stnney's movements on that particular day"

Why wasn't this so called "new evidence" used in his defence by eyewitnesses back in 1944. Where were these people with their evidence during the actual trial?

On the other side Stinney was tried by an all male white jury and found guilty after only ten minutes of deliberation

maybe as in the Guildford bombing trial ,among others in this country,evidence was witheld from the defence at the time,it happens here even though I believe our justice system is certainly less tainted then any other in the world

1940 , South Carolina, Wrong colour, racist America at it's best.

Chances are he was innocent, but on the wrong side of the track.

They won’t get any justice nothing’s changed much .

That above comment is a very frank admission on your part that you're a complete idiot :D

Archived