Teen executed in 1944 may get a new trial

Never heard of Daz, never heard of Bleacho. Never heard of Persil. Evidently I missed something growing up in California. Does no one in the UK use BORAX for laundry? Amazing stuff. :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it, that expression makes no sense. Why not just say white and be done with it?

What's that saying, "two nations divided by a common language?" :hihi:

Those of us in the US are at a disadvantage. American TV programs are wildly popular all over the world and people hear American expressions and particularly west coast slang. Foreign programs are not nearly as popular over here.

The husband and I once met a young man from Romania who was working at a winery. He spoke flawless english, albeit with a slight accent. We were astounded when he told us he'd learned it all from American TV shows and video games.

Post deleted... duplicate

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 06:09 ----------

Never heard of Daz, never heard of Bleacho. Never heard of Persil. Evidently I missed something growing up in California. Does no one in the UK use BORAX for laundry? Amazing stuff. :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it, that expression makes no sense. Why not just say white and be done with it?

What's that saying, "two nations divided by a common language?" :hihi:

Those of us in the US are at a disadvantage. American TV programs are wildly popular all over the world and people hear American expressions and particularly west coast slang. Foreign programs are not nearly as popular over here.

The husband and I once met a young man from Romania who was working at a winery. He spoke flawless english, albeit with a slight accent. We were astounded when he told us he'd learned it all from American TV shows and video games.

"I washed me 'usband's shirt with Bleacho. It were true wot them ads on TV said. It came out whiter than white.... but flippin' 'eck the problem is that when I put it in the wash it were his favourite blue shirt. Now 'es told me to stick Bleacho washing powder in a place where decency forbids me to mention"

Actual testimonial from Mrs Edna Goldbanks

34 Acacia Drive

Entwhistle

Lancs

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 06:44 ----------

Many years ago while camping near Montreal, we were sitting with this family chatting away in French. The Dad kept telling his young daughter to "Assis toi" which she totally ignored. So I whispered to her "sit down" which she promptly did. I commented to Papa about it, and he said it was US TV to blame. She had almost lost her native language.

I paid a return visit to Montreal in the mid 1990s. Everything was all in French. Very few bi-lingual signs to be seen.

An English speaking Montrealer asked me if I could spare a "Loony" I thought she was referring to my state of mind. Turns out that they call the Canadian dollar coin a Loony because on one side there is a picture of a bird... probably the common Lake Loon found in those parts.

"I washed me 'usband's shirt with Bleacho. It were true wot them ads on TV said. It came out whiter than white.... but flippin' 'eck the problem is that when I put it in the wash it were his favourite blue shirt. Now 'es told me to stick Bleacho washing powder in a place where decency forbids me to mention"

34 Acacia Drive

Entwhistle

Lancs

I paid a return visit to Montreal in the mid 1990s. Everything was all in French. Very few bi-lingual signs to be seen.

An English speaking Montrealer asked me if I could spare a "Loony" I thought she was referring to my state of mind. Turns out that they call the Canadian dollar coin a Loony because on one side there is a picture of a bird... probably the common Lake Loon found in those parts.

Are these the ramblings of a senile old man?

34 Acacia Drive

Entwhistle

Lancs

Back in the 70s, the Quebec Government enacted a law that said all road signs, storefront signs, company mail etc. was to be solely in French. When they told Pratt and Whitney, based in Longueil that they had to comply, even mail to the headquarters in Connecticut, Pratt informed them that there was a Province called Ontario next door. Problem solved. Its interesting to note that mail sent to me about my Quebec pension is always in English.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 11:50 ----------

What a petty and nasty comment to make. It's people like you who spoil an otherwise decent forum. :rant:

Back in the 70s, the Quebec Government enacted a law that said all road signs, storefront signs, company mail etc. was to be solely in French. When they told Pratt and Whitney, based in Longueil that they had to comply, even mail to the headquarters in Connecticut, Pratt informed them that there was a Province called Ontario next door. Problem solved. Its interesting to note that mail sent to me about my Quebec pension is always in English.

Another senile old rant beginning with "Back in the..." which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 17:06 ----------

This is the rambling of a person with wisdom and someone who has seen the past. He's a walking history book. Which is better than most history book as they are written with biases.

Not sure if you're serious or taking the ....

Getting on I may be but rather what i am than a big mouthed fool who thinks he knows what the actual circumstances were in the trial and conviction of a 14 year old boy in South Carolina in 1944.

You couldnt even ID the state on a map of the US if the names werent shown. I doubt even if you could ID Attercliffe on a map of Sheffield

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 17:50 ----------

Another senile old rant beginning with "Back in the..." which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

I'm sure about one thing. You're an i.j.j.i.t

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 18:02 ----------

Yes, only adults can be wrongly executed now. What progress.

Do you mean wrongly executed in the sense that's it'wrong to executs a convicted murderer or wrongly executed because the person was found to be innocent later on. When was the last time the latter happened?

If someone kidnapped your 10 years old grand daughter, physically assaulted and strangled her then tossed her in a ditch would you agree with a life sentence with possible release after 10-15 years?

Oh yeah! Course you would... you're a progressive thinking liberal sitting behind a keyboard safe in your self satisfied assurance that "nothing like that could ever happen to any of mine" :D

So we had a little side chat to annoy a fool, at least it succeeded. Continue with your uninteresting nonsense. Give us a chance to annoy you again, child.:hihi:

Getting on I may be but rather what i am than a big mouthed fool who thinks he knows what the actual circumstances were in the trial and conviction of a 14 year old boy in South Carolina in 1944.

No, getting on you are, not maybe...and take that silly 4 knotted hanky off yer head, it looks silly in the State of the beautiful people.

The actual circumstances were he was arrested, tried and executed by a State that looked on Blacks as less than human..White human that is. That for the record put him at a disadvantage. But you keep on hiding behind your synthetic concern for a 14yr old.

And less of the silly grins you senile old fool.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 18:28 ----------

So we had a little side chat to annoy a fool, at least it succeeded. Continue with your uninteresting nonsense. Give us a chance to annoy you again, child.:hihi:

But you knock this stuff out add infinitum.:roll:

You want to do personnel chat on a thread that's quite grave then go 1-2-1 privately.

No, getting on you are, not maybe...and take that silly 4 knotted hanky off yer head, it looks silly in the State of the beautiful people.

The actual circumstances were he was arrested, tried and executed by a State that looked on Blacks as less than human..White human that is. That for the record put him at a disadvantage. But you keep on hiding behind your synthetic concern for a 14yr old.

And less of the silly grins you senile old fool.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 18:28 ----------

But you knock this stuff out add infinitum.:roll:

You want to do personnel chat on a thread that's quite grave then go 1-2-1 privately.

The beautiful people in this state used to wear bandanas and smoke pot or something stronger. Some still do. What do you wear on your head?

Something that looks like a tea towel?

You're a fool because you jump to conclusions that because the 14 year old lived in a racist state and wasn't white therefore he must have been completely innocent. For my part I wouldn't know the truth so what makes you think you do? Fact is you're all mouth with opinions that have nothing factual behind them

Archived