Middle class parents to pay for education

My father was a miner. My grandfather was a fireman.

My old man's a dustman.

I managed to get into a grammar school just fine. No tuition needed - I doubt my parents would even have been able to find one if they wanted to.

The social make-up of grammar schools would vary from area to area. If you had grammar schools in solidly working class areas like Rotherham, Worksop and the like then most kids in grammar schools will have working class parents because there aren't many middle-class people.

At my grammar school most kids were working class for the same reason. It was noticeable though that the top stream was dominated by middle-class kids because their parents pushed and helped them. In some cases they paid the teachers for private tuition to help get them to university.

If there were grammar schools in Sheffield kids on the west side of Sheffield would be over-represented in them because of parental help.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 16:55 ----------

The father of a pal of mine that went to Grammar school dug up roads for a living.

We licked t' road clean wi' t' tongue.

I don't see it as a derailment..As "middle class" is used in the thread title wouldn't we be as well knowing who we were talking about?

If you click the link in the opening post and read the first sentence of the article, you will find a pretty tight definition of "who we are talking about". No need to derail this thread with tedious questions.

It is a stupid idea though. Our politicians would be well advised to look at the schools in less well off areas and find solutions to raise standards in those, rather than milking more cash from the middle classes.

At my grammar school most kids were working class for the same reason. It was noticeable though that the top stream was dominated by middle-class kids because their parents pushed and helped them. In some cases they paid the teachers for private tuition to help get them to university.

If there were grammar schools in Sheffield kids on the west side of Sheffield would be over-represented in them because of parental help....

The thing in life is, do not give yourself excuses.

My parents didn't pay for private tuitions. I worked my ass off by the extra homework my teachers gave me to bring me up to speed to bridge my learning gaps. Whereas my friends will play, I have to work harder and use it as study time. My siblings also tutored me too. I am sure that we all learnt how to be more responsible and respect one another so much more. There were no fighting, or unfairness. It was just an accepted thing. I go to university and I share things. Whereas now, when I hear my colleagues talk of their children's experiences, and such selfishness and who's who washing was not done and who's who perfume was stolen or used. I just think to myself. "OMG, get a grip."

Re Education: Free education is a relatively new thing, it doesn't have a long historical precedence. I believe my grandmother (working class) had to pay a penny a day to attend school, and in Victorian times, before the education act, Mill owners etc used to set up schools to provide education for their child workers. The cost was often docked from their wages.

It really is funny to visit this subject again. In my mother's generation, you also have to pay for school too. This is why I know that she has done well in supporting me to go to university. Of which I appreciate immensely. To say that a degree is worthless is not the same. As some companies still value an education. If you work hard, then why will you not be awarded a higher position ? My mother is also in her 70's now.

Times have not changed that much.

My grandfather's worked in blue-collar jobs in farming. My mother worked in blue collar jobs again. I myself is working in a white collar job. Each generation should indeed get better and better with the evolving economy. You still need to have an education and know what is tax, or what is income, and how to find jobs. That is the basics for everyone in this modern age, isn't it ?

My father was a miner. My grandfather was a fireman.

I managed to get into a grammar school just fine. No tuition needed - I doubt my parents would even have been able to find one if they wanted to..

I come from a very similar background. I was very well educated at the local comp in a Rotherham pit village.

As was one other successful contributor to this thread.

A good school is a good school.

Prescriptions (and there are many exemptions for those on low income, those of senior age, pregnant etc - and the limit is capped at £120 a year or thereabouts for all others)

Road accidents - paid for by your insurance.

Erm, no, nowt apart from dental.

If you're in need of counselling then often people have to go private, as waiting lists at the doctors are very long. Even then the type of counselling provided at the doctors is time limited to 6 weeks. Many people need longer term psychotherapy, so unfortunately they have to go private, unless they go to somewhere like Mind where the waiting lists are also very long. :(

The thing in life is, do not give yourself excuses.

My parents didn't pay for private tuitions. I worked my ass off by the extra homework my teachers gave me to bring me up to speed to bridge my learning gaps.

I'm not giving myself excuses. The middle class kids were in on an evening doing their homework. We on the other hand were round each others houses listening to music, at a youth club twisting ankles to Northern Soul, hanging about alleyways or trying to get served in pubs aged 14. We still got to university but we didn't become boring tosspots who know a lot about further maths but haven't enjoyed life that much.

I'm not giving myself excuses. The middle class kids were in on an evening doing their homework. We on the other hand were round each others houses listening to music, at a youth club twisting ankles to Northern Soul, hanging about alleyways or trying to get served in pubs aged 14. We still got to university but we didn't become boring tosspots who know a lot about further maths but haven't enjoyed life that much.

I did all of those things (if you substitute ska for northern soul).

I also went to university, where I learned about the dangers of generalising:wink:

Archived