Pc world/currys returns faulty

I've returned faulty items without receipt. However, a bit of assistance on the part of the customer to help the shop determine the date it was sold helps your case greatly.

I was in Screwfix at Christmas and a guy brought back a tin of paint he bought "a couple of months ago". He didn't have the receipt. Screwfix were fine with this.

After a few minutes, thanks to them having customer numbers and a customer database they found he'd bought it in February 2012.

He went all sheepish and slunk away.

@Cyclone: Fortunately there is no requirement to prove that you bought it from their store.

If that is the case then is it feasible that goods can be returned to any store, regardless of where they were purchased? For instance, could the OP have returned the ink to Maplins or Morrisons (all supposing they sell that particular brand)?

Many of them actually state that they should be retained as proof of purchase. If this simple expedient had been followed, the OP would have no problem. It makes total sense for the store to ask to see the receipt.

If that is the case then is it feasible that goods can be returned to any store, regardless of where they were purchased? For instance, could the OP have returned the ink to Maplins or Morrisons (all supposing they sell that particular brand)?

I always thought that was the useful part of chain stores... I've been on holiday and had things bust and just returned them to the local branch of Tesco/Homebase/whatever before now - no problems, exchange on the spot.In this case it was handy that the item was obviously only sold by them as I rarely carry receipts round.

One thing that you can do if you have a smartphone is just photograph the receipt as you buy it and then file it. Easy to find it later on....

Many of them actually state that they should be retained as proof of purchase. If this simple expedient had been followed, the OP would have no problem. It makes total sense for the store to ask to see the receipt.

I think cyclone meant there is no requirement to prove it was bought at that particular branch. Obviously on a bank statement, it will show the name of the shop where the transaction took place, for instance 'Curry's/PC world' but it won't always show the name of the specific branch, eg 'Meadowhall'. You can usually return it to any branch of the store you bought it from.

With regards to this particular case, I can't see that the shop is doing anything wrong! If you can't be bothered to keep hold of your receipt for a while, then expect the shop to need further details from you!

From Citizens Advice Bureau website:

Proof of purchase

You'll usually need to show where and when you bought your goods. You can prove this with your receipt if you have one. You don’t have the right to be given a receipt but usually are.

If you don’t have a receipt and you bought the items using a debit or credit card, you could ask if they will accept a card statement as proof of purchase. Failing that, you could ask the shop if they will accept a price label or a guarantee as proof of purchase.

If this isn’t possible, you can ask the shop if you can return the items without proof of purchase but they may not let you. If you don’t have proof of purchase, some shops may still let you exchange the item, rather than give you a refund.

They are. There is no way they can insist on a receipt.

What they can do is insist on proving it was bought from them inside the guarantee period. That can be done with a bank statement or card statement. PCWorld however insist on the receipt anyway - which is illegal and when they tried it on my mother, they ended up in court - and lost.

Yeah you clearly didn't read the rest of my post...a bank statement is no use to anybody as a receipt, staff use a bank statement to limit the search parameters so they can pull up a digital receipt from their logging system.

A bank statement is nothing, it shows that you spent an amount of money on that day at that company, a receipt is needed...which can be retrieved with a bank statement. The OP is moaning when they had nothing, not a receipt, a bank statement...can't even narrow it down to the date for the staff.

Again, staff can't magic values out of thin air, they need to be given something to work with in order to find a receipt.

Yeah you clearly didn't read the rest of my post...a bank statement is no use to anybody as a receipt, staff use a bank statement to limit the search parameters so they can pull up a digital receipt from their logging system.

A bank statement is nothing, it shows that you spent an amount of money on that day at that company, a receipt is needed...which can be retrieved with a bank statement. The OP is moaning when they had nothing, not a receipt, a bank statement...can't even narrow it down to the date for the staff.

Again, staff can't magic values out of thin air, they need to be given something to work with in order to find a receipt.

Yeah actually I did read the rest of your post.

There is no requirement for a receipt from the customer. Whatever procedures the company use is of course up to them, but they cannot insist that a customer produces the receipt, as PCWorld found out.

Yeah actually I did read the rest of your post.

There is no requirement for a receipt from the customer. Whatever procedures the company use is of course up to them, but they cannot insist that a customer produces the receipt, as PCWorld found out.

So I turn up with no proof that I bought something from a particular store,or chain. how do I get my money back/exchange?

Read what I said above....

"What they can do is insist on proving it was bought from them inside the guarantee period. That can be done with a bank statement or card statement. PCWorld however insist on the receipt anyway - which is illegal and when they tried it on my mother, they ended up in court - and lost."

Archived