Tom Jones to play Chesterfield. Why not Sheffield Stadium.

Elton John is now in the same class as Paul McCartney, they have lost it!! BUT, Sir Tom Jones still has it< and singing better than ever>>>>>>>>...

Any way you look at it it is 15000 folk who are going to turn up in Chesterfield, and very likely drink in their pubs, stop in their hotels, eat in their restaurants and buy stuff in their shops.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 15:29 ----------

That's more of a concern in terms of big acts being lured away from Sheffield then the Proact Stadium IMHO.

It does rather look as though Sheffield is dropping back in the league table. I noticed that Fright Night is also having a year out of the schedules.

Any way you look at it it is 15000 folk who are going to turn up in Chesterfield, and very likely drink in their pubs, stop in their hotels, eat in their restaurants and buy stuff in their shops.

Can a town of 100,000 people accommodate another 15,000 tourists?

I've a soft spot for Chezzy and I wish them all the best, but... :huh:

Can a town of 100,000 people accommodate another 15,000 tourists?

I've a soft spot for Chezzy and I wish them all the best, but... :huh:

The world didn't end when Elton John played there, it didn't end when Chaz and Dave played the winding wheel. I doubt it will end when the chuckle brothers play the pomegranate (it might though).

It does rather look as though Sheffield is dropping back in the league table. I noticed that Fright Night is also having a year out of the schedules.

The disappearance of Fright Night will no doubt cause Sheffield to become a ghost town filled only by tumbleweed and winds whistling off the prairie in no time at all as though a plague of locusts had mopped up after a nuclear strike.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 16:44 ----------

More likely that 15,000 will travel in, go to the gig and go straight home. Some may call at Tesco next door but the idea that 15,000 are going to flood the hotels and restaurants of Chesterfield is laughable.

The disappearance of Fright Night will no doubt cause Sheffield to become a ghost town filled only by tumbleweed and winds whistling off the prairie in no time at all as though a plague of locusts had mopped up after a nuclear strike.

Well of course it won't, and neither will the loss of the Don Valley Stadium. No single incident will do that. But they all add up to the overall decline. I note that Tramlines numbers were down around 50,000 on the previous year and the organisers lost £40,000 staging the event, and some top line acts refused to play for free because the event was no longer a free concert.

It just seems to me that Sheffield should be moving forward not backwards. With top line acts picking to play Leeds instead of Sheffield Arena that may well be another venue that has seen its glory days. It is far easier to lose your place on the gig tour than it is to get put back on it.

Will Sheffield lose its place in top line athletics training now it no longer has a world class stadium?

More likely that 15,000 will travel in, go to the gig and go straight home. Some may call at Tesco next door but the idea that 15,000 are going to flood the hotels and restaurants of Chesterfield is laughable.

I'm sure they won't all stop in hotels, but some will. When ever I've gone to a gig away from my home town I've hit the pubs for a few drinks, probably a meal and also often an overnight stay. They seem to think the Tour de France will fill hotels, restaurants and bars and that too is just passing through.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 17:00 ----------

I take it you don't get out to many comedy clubs.

I take it someone who posts as much on the forum as you do hardly gets out at all.

Archived