25% of Adults live with their parents

Is it because there are more asians? The last son usually stays at home forever so he can look after his parents...

I think this is happening more and more in all communities, especially as people live longer. In my friendhip group I know 2 guys (one in his 40s and one in his 50s) that are carers for their elderly parents. They work 24/7 and get very little in terms of carers allowance, but save the taxpayer an absolute fortune.

It's too simplistic to say that this is down to housing being unaffordable. Some young adults stay at home with mum and dad because it is easy and cheap. That way they get to enjoy their life more, spending their money elsewhere instead of on providing a roof over their head for themselves. I bought my own property as a very young person and was not earning very much money but I struggled and did without many things. Furniture came from the want-ads. That is what it takes to be independent and maybe some of them just don't want that kind of life. It's not a bad idea for parents to downsize then their offspring would have to leave and grow up in the process.

Parents no longer charging board may have something to do with it, and allowing their kids to live the life of Riley at home.

They should be paying their way either in cash or kind. If not, why would they ever leave?

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 15:50 ----------

I think this is happening more and more in all communities, especially as people live longer. In my friendhip group I know 2 guys (one in his 40s and one in his 50s) that are carers for their elderly parents. They work 24/7 and get very little in terms of carers allowance, but save the taxpayer an absolute fortune.

Carers, young and old, have always had a disgusting deal from the government, but that's a thread in itself.

The article states quite clearly that young people are defined in this case in the age category from 20 - 34, so what's wrong with that definition?

Nothing, it's the title of the thread that you've used that is quite simply wrong.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 15:51 ----------

It ignores the possiblity of some adults remaining at home because they don't want to move out or can't be bothered. Or have unrealistic expectations of what their first property might be.

If the numbers are increasing though, then what is the underlying reason?

Parents no longer charging board may have something to do with it, and allowing their kids to live the life of Riley at home.

They should be paying their way either in cash or kind. If not, why would they ever leave?

Can they afford to leave? It is not even possible.

I think I was lucky actually when I was a student, and that halls of residents were an option for me against the private student housing market. When I came out of university, I was still living in bad housing, whereas the newer generation following me did not. Then this added in the fight for housing stock, as well as many family units now have to commute further and also enabled them to actually buy a second property to work during the week and then commute back home on the weekend.

When Cameron say that we are now a "broken society". I think it is an understatement because living with your family, having a house, and security is almost a thing of the past. Most have to commute very far, work to live, than live to work.

I actually sat down one time to work out some figures in an approximation.

There is definitely a North/South divide.

North - 20k-under 100k per bedroom

South - 90k -150k per bedroom (and more if this is London)

I'm 26 and live at home with my mum and brother.

I went to University and lived in halls. After that I stayed in the town that I studied and rented a flat with my best friend for a year and got decent paying jobs. She got homesick and moved back to her home country and then my boyfriend moved in. After another year, things weren't working and I decided I missed Sheffield so I came back and found work straight away. The initial plan was to live at home until I had found somewhere else.

However, I then had some health issues and had to leave my job, then I was out of work for a year, during which time my savings depleted. I couldn't afford to move out.

I now have a part time job (not managed to get anything full time).

I help out around the house and I pay board, pay for all our pets (food, insurance and vet bills), and buy all my own food.

In all honesty, I have no intentions of moving out. My parents have always said that this is mine and my brothers house, and I love it here. As long as my mum doesn't see my being here as a burden, then I will stay.

Who's going to give a student a mortgage?

Parents downsize their own properties to buy a flat for their kids, and in return, they can indeed sell this later on for other students.

It is now more common than people think.

A lot of them are more for overseas investors when they send their child to university.

Don't you remember the housing boom ?

Also, a lot of universities no longer have halls of residence any more, as the maintenance cost itself is high. There is also a merge of universities too within some cities. So you can imagine how come most people do still live with their parents.

Archived