25% of Adults live with their parents

I'm 26 and live at home with my mum and brother.

In all honesty, I have no intentions of moving out. My parents have always said that this is mine and my brothers house, and I love it here. As long as my mum doesn't see my being here as a burden, then I will stay.

Just an aside, but what if your Mum needs to go into a Nursing Home in her old age? (I'm sure you'd want to look after her, but that's not always possible and Social Services could insist she be admitted.)

What happens then, in these circumstances, does anybody know?

Would her home have to be sold out from under redstar to pay nursing/care home fees?

Serious question.

Just an aside, but what if your Mum needs to go into a Nursing Home in her old age? (I'm sure you'd want to look after her, but that's not always possible and Social Services could insist she be admitted.)

What happens then, in these circumstances, does anybody know?

Would her home have to be sold out from under redstar to pay nursing/care home fees?

Serious question.

If they can prove (and it appears obvious) that the kids live there and have lived there for years, the council are unlikely to turf them out (as you probably know) and they'll be funded by social services (albeit you will to a certain extent have a limited choice).

Clearly there are plenty of young adults who, like Redstar have no ambition to provide a roof over their heads for themselves. 5, 10, 15 years down the line and the boat will have been well and truly missed. They can look back with no sense of achievement and certainly no independence. It is a state of being a grown up child. They are living on the back of someone else's hard work.

It's a sign of the times - people want the easiest life they can get. It was totally different 30/40 years ago. Man of us were striving for a life better than our parents', home ownership being up there on he list of priorities, and we worked hard for it.

I feel sorry for parents who cannot get rid of their offspring. Of course they can't bring themselves to object to them being there but having brought them up, don't they deserve some rest and privacy?

As for the care home situation, if both adult children intend to inherit then yes, seek advice. What the council can do is put a charge against the house so that it cannot be sold until the debt is paid.

There are also more kids choosing to do university courses nearer home so instead of living in digs they stay with their parents...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5224427/More-university-students-studying-near-home-to-save-money-in-recession.html

Based on a poll of a minuscule 505 applicants, making the results meaningless, and probably deliberately biased by the NUS.

For a more accurate picture, see this link, stating the opposite (based on 17,000 students so more meaningful).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25493976

When I turned 18, my mum got me pots and pans and that sort of thing for Christmas presents to help with moving out, and had no other expectation than that I would leave.

At first I had to share with friends in some absolutely dire (but cheap) areas of course, but I managed to buy my house at 22 (again not our dream house just something we could afford) with my other half. Very hard but not impossible. I bet a lot of these people just need a kick up the backside.

Now this is getting ridiculous, despite the fact that they are working. But don't worry homeowners, your property is still rising in value, so you can still jump for joy at the prospect of your children living with you forever!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25827061

Funnily enough my property is rising in value but I will be giving it to my son in a few years and I will be moving out.

Isn't that what most homeowners do with their property? Pass it on to their children.

Funnily enough my property is rising in value but I will be giving it to my son in a few years and I will be moving out.

Isn't that what most homeowners do with their property? Pass it on to their children.

I think you need to check the legality of this, as you cannot just "give" it away. I remember reading some mortgage magazines on this aspect a long time ago when I got my first home. I was quite surprised, but I guess it makes sense. There may be some tax liabilities and ownership constraints.

Wouldn't it be great if there is less financial liabilities to the parents if they wish to do this ? Imagine the votes the party who propose this change will have. :hihi:

Clearly there are plenty of young adults who, like Redstar have no ambition to provide a roof over their heads for themselves. 5, 10, 15 years down the line and the boat will have been well and truly missed. They can look back with no sense of achievement and certainly no independence. It is a state of being a grown up child. They are living on the back of someone else's hard work.

I have plenty of independence. I have lived on my own, paid all the bills and managed brilliantly. Unfortunately I decided to do all this in a town away from home and missed Sheffield (not living at home) but had no choice but to move home initially. Then things fell through due to ill health and I am not in a position to move out due to finances.

Yes I don't want to move out either, but that isn't because I have no sense of ambition. I am not in a position to get a mortgage, and me and my family do not see the point in wasting money on rent when this house is paid off. I pay my own way. My mum provides me a roof over my head and pays the TV license and water and stuff, but my (and my brothers) board pays gas, electric and council tax, and helps mum out with other stuff too. She does not do my laundry, cooking or anything like that and I buy all my own stuff.

My mum is happy to have me and my brother here as long as we pay our own way and show her respect, which we do. It helps her. And we appreciate living here. If she asked me to leave then obviously I would.

As for care homes, that is hopefully a long way off and neither of my parents want to discuss that as an option. It would be a last resort for if we were truly unable to care for them, because neither of them want to go into care.

Archived