Annoying Hive ad on TV

Not really difficult to do yourself using a arduino and/or raspberry pi. A lot cheaper too and with your existing setup.

Not really that much cheaper as you need buy a Pi, and Arduino board and then something to give it wireless capability that's probably a hundred pound plus you need to be beyond IT literate and also need to leave your computer on all day every day.

Not really difficult to do yourself using a arduino and/or raspberry pi. A lot cheaper too and with your existing setup.

Pi about £40

Arduino board starter kit £80

wireless usb £8

case £unsure

Then you need to have extra wires going to the device to power the pi.

£199 for a hive installed by a professional.

I know what I would buy.

Pi about £40

Arduino board starter kit £80

wireless usb £8

case £unsure

Then you need to have extra wires going to the device to power the pi.

£199 for a hive installed by a professional.

I know what I would buy.

Well you wouldn't need the Arduino board and the cheaper Raspberry Pi model would do the job. You could get all the bits, including a power supply for the Pi, for £50.

The real problem, as Supertramp hinted at, is knowing what to do.

But would you leave the power on to your holiday cottage when you left it for months?

Yes. It was never empty for more than a couple of weeks anyway because we let it to paying guests. A system like Hive would've been useful for turning the heating off after guests left and turning it back on ahead of the next bunch arriving, but the temptation to make surprise adjustments with guests in situ might've been overwhelming ;)

Well to start with there will be the cost of a new controller for the C/H that can be accessed via the mobile phone system for which I bet there will be no change out of £200 or even more, plus the cost of having it fitted. Then If you want to control individual rooms you will need a new valve fitted to every radiator in the house, this would involve the draining of the full system.

All this to save about 20 minutes which is about the length of time it takes for my C/H to warm up from cold.

I don't think it's too expensive for someone with a few quid. It's a bit of a gadget/toy really. Could be useful though.

I can see it may be of use to a select few but as I said before, if I turn on my heating when I walk in the house the house is warm in around 20 minutes, if I were to turn the heating on remotely then it would be on about 20 minutes earlier, where's the saving in that?

As for the GPS switching it on I often pass by my house when I am travelling from one job to another I also have to call home sometimes for tools or ladders etc, do I want my C/H to turn on every tiime I'm near?

Archived