Annoying Hive ad on TV

Actually, I've just been googling the whole wifi thing and this looks quite interesting.

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/wifi-led-rgb-controller-for-strip-lighting-iphone-ipad-android.html

I've just bought some led tape to experiment with, I might pick up one of these wifi enabled drivers as well. No use with GU10's and existing light fittings of course, but provides some interesting options for highlight lighting and decorative lighting.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 14:58 ----------

My advice is remember to switch your heating off when you leave the house and wear a jumper until you house is warm enough after you come in ;).

I have a timer switch that pretty much does that for me.

You must have to charge your phone every 12 hours!

Wifi is another waste of battery power.

You should investigate the app 'llama' (if you're on android).

I have llama but that just puts my phone on silent when I get to work and then turns it back up when am outside? What else can I use it for?

Actually I don't have GPS on, it's just location settings and my phone is on charge at my desk most of the day so I've never really cared about battery life.

I think you prove my point. £180 for 3 colour changing light bulbs is massively over priced. I might consider paying £60 for that pack, and I like gadgets and have plenty of spare cash.

If I really wanted to be able to colour change my lights I think these would be a better investment at the moment.

http://www.ledlightszone.co.uk/gu10/88-gu10-3w-led-16-colour-changing-light-bulb-with-remote-controller.html

£13 a bulb (less if you shop around). Sure, they're not connected to my wifi, but do I need to use my phone to change the colour instead of picking up a remote and doing it? How often will I actually need purple lighting instead of just white? (Probably just for parties is the answer). Do I really want my lights to flash because I got an email (No, not really). Would being able to turn them on an off remotely be useful (more of a gimmick really).

Your example is nothing like the Hue bulbs though. The costs include the software too. I suppose one person will see value in something while another may not.

I think that my whole heating system would need to be updated to be able to have a chance of controlling it with my phone. Mine is so old it doesn't even have a thermostat! It's been going strong for the last 35 (or thereabouts) years.

Your example is nothing like the Hue bulbs though. The costs include the software too. I suppose one person will see value in something while another may not.

It's almost identical to the hue bulbs. Certainly in the key bit, that it's a light bulb that changes colour.

Hue goes a bit further by being wifi enabled, but that's pretty much it.

Re: software, I expect it took a graduate about a week to knock up.

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:00 ----------

I have llama but that just puts my phone on silent when I get to work and then turns it back up when am outside? What else can I use it for?

You teach it areas and set rules, I've not tried it, but it might be possible to set a rule that if you are within 4km (or appropriate distance) of home and it's >1500 on a weekday then trigger external event (which happens to be the one to turn on your heating).

Actually I don't have GPS on, it's just location settings and my phone is on charge at my desk most of the day so I've never really cared about battery life.

I was just thinking about your suggestion that the heating come on before you get home, llama or something similar would be a better way of working out location than GPS which kills battery.

It's almost identical to the hue bulbs. Certainly in the key bit, that it's a light bulb that changes colour.

Hue goes a bit further by being wifi enabled, but that's pretty much it.

Re: software, I expect it took a graduate about a week to knock up.

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:00 ----------

You teach it areas and set rules, I've not tried it, but it might be possible to set a rule that if you are within 4km (or appropriate distance) of home and it's >1500 on a weekday then trigger external event (which happens to be the one to turn on your heating).

I was just thinking about your suggestion that the heating come on before you get home, llama or something similar would be a better way of working out location than GPS which kills battery.

Yeah, good idea. Now for a driverless car...

Archived