Looking for information on Carnelley/ Burkinshaws

my old geography teacher at beaver hill was called mr burkinshaw

my dadsnext door neighbours (woodhouse) are burkinshaws too

another one of my dads neighbours where called hobson, a mate of mine when i lived at woodhouse was called hobson too lol

thats quite a lot of hobsons and burkinshaws

not sure i can remmeber enough to help you tbh tho

Hi DragonLady5 Do you have any idea where in Sheffield the Burkinshaws' that you refer to lived. My branch seemed to come from the Heeley area back in 1910-20's but being a big family(as they all were in those days) they no doubt spread about a bit. I left Sheffield in 1970 but the place obviously has a magnetism for Burkinshaws' as both of my kids moved to Sheffield and live in Heeley. What goes around comes around etc.

There was a big family called Burkinshaw lived on the Arbourthorne in the 40's.

Their family was quite large so they were given 2 council houses with an ajoining door. Mrs Burkinshaw was the local district "Midwife" the lady who came to help when the baby was due. As I can remember her being at both my brother's birth's I suppose she brouhgt me into the world as well.

They lived I think on Paddock Cres. I'm not sure but think there were 12 children in the family. Very respectable to.

• 4 weeks later...

I have quite a lot of info on the Burkinshaw's being one myself and endlessly trawling thro' census records and the like. My family originated in Ecclesfield and moved to the Ecclesall Bierlow district. If you have a specific Burkinshaw lead you need to trace I will gladly try and assist.

Does anyone have any information on the families of Carnelley, Burkinshaw and I think Hobson from the Yorkshire area. Possibly Bradfield and Sheffield and maybe surrounding areas. Thanks

There is a John Burkinshaw in Harveyclough rd ,

• 3 years later...
I have quite a lot of info on the Burkinshaw's being one myself and endlessly trawling thro' census records and the like. My family originated in Ecclesfield and moved to the Ecclesall Bierlow district. If you have a specific Burkinshaw lead you need to trace I will gladly try and assist.

i am looking for leonard burkingshaw who i belive was married a lady called Esta, they married 23rd feb 1914, leonard died 4th july 1967. i am trying to trace his parents.

There was a big family called Burkinshaw lived on the Arbourthorne in the 40's.

Their family was quite large so they were given 2 council houses with an ajoining door. Mrs Burkinshaw was the local district "Midwife" the lady who came to help when the baby was due. As I can remember her being at both my brother's birth's I suppose she brouhgt me into the world as well.

They lived I think on Paddock Cres. I'm not sure but think there were 12 children in the family. Very respectable to.

do you have a first name for Mrs Burkingshaw

This looks like the marriage

Marriages Mar 1914

BURKINSHAW Leonard / MOULSON Wortley 9c 411

MOULSON Esther E /BURKINSHAW Wortley 9c 411

They were married in the Wortley district.

If you send for the marriage certificate this will give you their father's names and occupations. Then you should be able to find them on the 1901 census.

These are some of the childrens births for this couple.

Surname/Forename/Mothers maiden name/ volume/page number.

Births Mar 1915

Burkinshaw Ellen E Moulson Wortley 9c 730

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Jun 1916

Burkinshaw Frank M Moulson Wortley 9c 691

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Mar 1918

Burkinshaw Norman Moulson Wortley 9c 604

Births Jun 1924

Burkinshaw Jack Moulson Wortley 9c 643

Burkinshaw Leslie Moulson Wortley 9c 643

Looks like there was a set of twins in 1924.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

1901 census.RG13 piece 4333 folio 31 page 36

Top Side Lane Ecclesfield

William Burkinshaw 39 Hand File Cutter born Sheffield (as they all were)

Lucilla Burkinshaw 37

Ada Burkinshaw 16

Leonard Burkinshaw 14

Ellen E Burkinshaw 12

Gertrude Burkinshaw 9

Grace Burkinshaw 6

Matilda Burkinshaw 4

George W Burkinshaw 2

Tuppie

Archived