Driving on hard shoulder

I thought that hard shoulders are only used as a fourth lane if they are part of the official "managed motorways" that they have been building for years?

Therefore if someone breaks down in that lane there'd be a big red cross above it until after the breakdown? Thus returning the lane to a hard shoulder/emergency acces?

That's how I understand it - plus it's also something that happens regularly in road works, we've no hard shoulder from 29a to ???? It's not lead to a whole host of accidents has it?

That's how I understand it - plus it's also something that happens regularly in road works, we've no hard shoulder from 29a to ???? It's not lead to a whole host of accidents has it?

But in a Roadworks situation the Speed limits are reduced so everyone should be more aware.

Ash.....

I'm sure we all agree the preferred option would be to build a fourth carriageway...but that costs money.

I'm worried about the safety option.

It's not a case of "coasting" to a safe refuge incase of breakdown .....it's access for the emergency services if anyone should be in life threatening circumstances.

We seem to have millions of spare cash for foreign aid, yet can't find the cash to ensure our motorways are safe!

New carriageway costs millions. Per mile. The annual foreign aid budget would probably build just a few tens of miles of new carriageway.

OK so you have 4 lanes of traffic and no hard shoulder, what happens when there is a multi vehicle accident and all 4 lanes come to a standstill, how do the emergency services get to the accident?

A-roads don't have a hard shoulder, but they still manage to get to the scene of an accident.

OK so you have 4 lanes of traffic and no hard shoulder, what happens when there is a multi vehicle accident and all 4 lanes come to a standstill, how do the emergency services get to the accident?

The go the "wrong" way up the motorway from a junction further down from the accident.

Ash.....

I'm sure we all agree the preferred option would be to build a fourth carriageway...but that costs money.

I'm worried about the safety option.

It's not a case of "coasting" to a safe refuge incase of breakdown .....it's access for the emergency services if anyone should be in life threatening circumstances.

We seem to have millions of spare cash for foreign aid, yet can't find the cash to ensure our motorways are safe!

New carriageway costs millions. Per mile. The annual foreign aid budget would probably build just a few tens of miles of new carriageway.

Archived