Driving on hard shoulder

When motorways were built the hard shoulder was put there as a safety zone.Over the years they have been used by many motorists in emergency situations. Also the police ,ambulances and fire brigade use them to get to anyone in need quicker. Why do :the powers that be: now decide we don,t need this safety zone any more?

The hard shoulder is far from a 'safety zone' as you put it. The hard shoulder is an incredibly dangerous place to be and as i understand it, is responsible for more motorway deaths than any other part of the motorway carriageways every year. This is why you are advised that in the event of a breakdown etc, you are to exit your vehicle and take refuge up the embankment behind your vehicle.

Re: managed motorways..

That is exactly the point... they are 'managed'... They are monitored by camera and in the event of a breakdown etc where the 'hard shoulder' becomes blocked, the highways agency closes down the lane and it is the responsibility of the motorist to adhere to the instructions on the gantries. For the most part, 'managed motorways' work very well indeed.

Before I retired as a Hgv driver I drove around Birmingham on the M42 quite a lot,the hard shoulder system relieved the congestion in both directions very well!.At 8.00am in that area it used to be a nightmare at teatime as well,the overhead lights controlled speeds and the red cross would show when any lane was closed.I never saw any bad accidents and breakdowns were speedily removed,the system only switches on in peak traffic times,I think it would be a big help on the M1 North after Jnc.35 for both morning and evening rush hours as this is a bad spot!.Let the powers that be try it out and then give a verdict,I agree safety must be paramount but don,t knock it until until you have tried it!.

Archived