Thai Thai Broomhill

pippadoll

'existing thai restaurants' ...... such a damning side swipe. Why it smacks of pure racism to me.

on the contrary it might be somebody who knows how difficult it is, to get a good Thai meal, outside Thailand.

it is not impossible, but it is difficult and I gave up on Sheffield Thai restaurants ages ago except for getting very basic fare like a green curry, and you might as well go to a good Chinese takeaway with a sideline in Thai dishes for that. It is for me one of the mysteries, of cuisine. Vietnamese food, although an inferior cuisine to Thai in my opinion, seems to travel much better.

I went this week in the evening, there wasnt many in but i suppose thats expected as its new. The decor isnt particularly interesting or authentic, it was also silent in there. just a bit lifeless really, also it wasnt cafe prices. The starter of mixed battered sea food wasnt v good as the sweet chilli sauce was watered down so thin it was like water.

The main course was very nice and tasty, but small, i left feeling hungry.

£30 for 2 of us with 1 drink each and a shared rice.

Would i go back? maybe in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Friday and it was nearly full. Would have to describe the service as a bit chaotic, but may just be teething problems. Starters were good and a decent size. Green and yellow curries were both delicious, but could do with a few more veg to bulk them up a bit. Rice portions were only just big enough.

Price for two starters, two mains and wine - a pretty reasonable 50 pounds. Would definitely go back again, but probably not when starving, as may leave feeling hungry!

I quite liked it. Food still has some way to go - some ingredients were missing - but I liked the atmosphere. Those who remember the Bahn Nah (it was across the road) with its scatty approach to service, will probably enjoy this place. An offshoot of the Thai at the Travellers restaurant in Holmesfield.

Had a takeaway from this place on saturday, both curries we had (1x green and 1x red) were pleasant, could have done with a little more heat but they were comparable to east one which is where we usually go.

One problem would be the time taken to get the food, when ordering i was told 20-25 minutes and they would ring me if its ready before. However, by the time i had driven down and sat waiting for a while (and twice told them my name which i had ordered it under) it took 50 minutes to get my order. A little inconvenience but an annoying one.

The website doesn't have numbers next to the dishes so you can't see what your ordering on the set meals either.

One last thing £2.50 for prawn crackers is stupid- even if they do come with a little pot of sweet chilli sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived