Do we have the right to offend?

Follow Golden Rule. It applies to all people, across all race, gender, nation. It's true.

How it applies in the real world is another matter.

What is Golden Rule? Also, you have three sentences there. The second is directly contradicted by the third.

Did anyone else have trouble following my post? I thought it was pretty clear that being okay with causing offence to people you've never met because you've never met them and they're not your mother was nonsense.

Perhaps I should have just said stupid?

errrrrm, when have i ever said it's okay to offend people. I just defend the right to free speech. You defend the right to free speech on your terms,

errrrrm, when have i ever said it's okay to offend people. I just defend the right to free speech. You defend the right to free speech on your terms,

There is no absolute right to free speech. I said this on page one of the thread.

I don't defend it on *my* terms. I call out idiocy when it gets spewed across the internet and I can be bothered to challenge it. Your arguments are idiotic.

There is no absolute right to free speech. I said this on page one of the thread.

I don't defend it on *my* terms. I call out idiocy when it gets spewed across the internet and I can be bothered to challenge it. Your arguments are idiotic.

:hihi::hihi:

Read post #60.

Read it. Point being you come across as someone who wishes to be able to insult anyone if you wish to, yes?

My point is that you simply don't have the balls to actually follow that through.

You would only be prepared to insult someone who would not be a threat to you.

For instance, if you met a 6'5" eighteen stone Millwall fan with a broken nose and a tattoo on each set of knuckles saying 'love' & 'hate' with one across his chest saying 'Everyone hates us we don't care' you wouldn't walk up to him & say 'na then you ugly cockney git, your team is crap and your a twohat' would you?

That's the test you see. If you want to be able to say what you want to anyone you meet then fair enough, go for it.

But you aren't up to that are you? So why not do what most of us do and treat people kindly, until such time as they insult you?

At which point say what you want.

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that borders are crossed more easily than people realise. Let me give you an example, my brother made a joke involving mentally handicapped people with me and my wife at the table. Not a good idea as my wife's daughter is mentally handicapped, it nearly wrecked the relation between me and my brother.

Maybe the phrase 'mentally handicapped' didn't help.....

Archived