Do we have the right to offend?

So would you introduce a law to stop people being ill mannered and obnoxious.

---------- Post added 25-01-2014 at 12:51 ----------

---------- Post added 25-01-2014 at 12:53 ----------

---------- Post added 25-01-2014 at 12:59 ----------

Definitely not. Apart from any other consideration it would be virtually impossible to apply such a law.

What some people find offensive others do not. Who's to judge?

Take the Jimmy Carr joke above, whilst I don't find it offensive - nor particularly funny - I could understand a Jew taking offence.

In mitigation It should be pointed out that at least it acknowledges the numbers involved.

Holocaust denial I find both offensive and stupid, given the evidence.

The other problem with implementing such a law is that it would automatically make criminals of certain people who have the misfortune to be born with obnoxious personalities.

They already have a cross to bear, and automatic criminalization seems a step too far. :)

I know people who actually did complain to Channel 4 about that joke so.......

You mean, then, that people 'did' find that joke offensive ( yes, I know I was being presumptive).

Do you mean, you know them personally, or you know of people complaining? A lot of people seem to want to complain and find offence on other people's behalf, but aren't really offended themselves.

Of course people found that joke offensive.

Anyone with an ounce of empathy should be able to spot that it was deliberately offensive (and that it was a joke so the sentiment isn't just to offend)

To put it into context it was delivered in a section 'the most offensive joke ever' and it was Jimmy Carr so 'tis to expected from him.

Anyone can take offense if they wish it's a choice they make, by the same token they could choose not to be offended if they want to.

He's having a go at people who think that there is a bill someone called "the rights of the offended" which is instantly enacted the second someone is offended. Nobody has a right to not be offended.

]To put it simiply I beleive that we all have a right to offend but we have a responsibility not to if we can avoid it.

People know they don't have a right to be offended, but they know they have a right to state that they are offended.

If Steven Fry didn't respond when he himself was offended the point he made would be justified, otherwise he is expressing double standards.

You mean, then, that people 'did' find that joke offensive ( yes, I know I was being presumptive).

Do you mean, you know them personally, or you know of people complaining? A lot of people seem to want to complain and find offence on other people's behalf, but aren't really offended themselves.

If they complain they are offended. It's not for you to say when people are and are not offended.

---------- Post added 25-01-2014 at 15:55 ----------

People know they don't have a right to be offended, but they know they have a right to state that they are offended.

If Steven Fry didn't respond when he himself was offended the point he made would be justified, otherwise he is expressing double standards.

Who said anything about denying people the right to express offence?

Archived