Do we have the right to offend?

I don't disagree with what you say there. I'm not saying that we should all have to sit by while we get offended and that we have no right to respond. What i'm saying is that i do have a right to free speech and that means i can say what i want. If you want to have an argument with me as a result. Fine. But i do object when people believe they have a right to never be offended.

So you enjoy being offended? Not quite sure I get what you mean.

Well if you were to go to Weston Park hospital and laugh at those with terminal cancer, and not expect any consequences for that boorish and outrageous behaviour, how would young people learn what's appropriate and what isn't. I'm sure that Sheffield Forum would be full of posters complaining about the behaviour of others.

In society we all have to rub along together somehow. By not facing the consequences of our actions, and our wider responsibilities to each other means that we all lose.

If any one did that at Weston park they'd be thrown out the building and someone would probably clump them. I don't have a problem with that. By consequences i mean legal consequences.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 21:25 ----------

So you enjoy being offended? Not quite sure I get what you mean.

No one enjoys being offended. It's whether you believe we should all adapt to that persons offence or if we can continue regardless.

If any one did that at Weston park they'd be thrown out the building and someone would probably clump them. I don't have a problem with that. By consequences i mean legal consequences.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 21:25 ----------

No one enjoys being offended. It's whether you believe we should all adapt to that persons offence or if we can continue regardless.

Yes - just today I think 2 Twitter trolls were convicted for sending hateful messages that were offensive & that's how it should be.

I don't think I've ever come across such a person, have you?

A lot of people think that under no circumstances can their prophet or god be offended. I.e Danish Cartoons and the play that's been banned in Northern Ireland.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 21:28 ----------

Yes - just today I think 2 Twitter trolls were convicted for sending hateful messages that were offensive & that's how it should be.

They threatened people there is a difference.

Its a very good question. A bloke once told me that I was a freak because I enjoy leather goods and services, which although may come across as strange to some, to me its a way of life. I don't disrespect his views but did he have to be so abrubt?

Its a very good question. A bloke once told me that I was a freak because I enjoy leather goods and services, which although may come across as strange to some, to me its a way of life. I don't disrespect his views but did he have to be so abrubt?

He was rude and insensitive. But he had a right to say it.

like, ykinmk, dude.

Archived