Reg Coffey/nether Edge

Anybody remember Reg Coffey from his newsrounds at Nether Edge in the 60's. He used to sell his papers and sort his rounds out in the passageway next to Tym's butcher's shop on Machin Bank Road? I used to deliver them

on Chelsea Road but the remuneration wasn't good. Then there was Payne's sweet shop on the corner of Nether Edge Road, Orme's on the other corner and on Sheldon Road, a Gowers & Burgon's grocers. Near Payne's was a haberdashery shop but I can't recall the name. Opposite was a hairdressers just before the bowling club, but the name escapes me. Was Shaw's the greengrocer's? Higher up on Netheredge Road was Beck's beer-off, where the boss was Bob Beck and he was helped by two twins, one of whom was called Eric Newbould but can't name the other?

Chairboy — you didn’t mention whether Coffey was a newsagent. I ask because during the war there was a newsagents at the bottom of Nether Edge Road and I delivered for them. I’d just started at High Storrs Grammar School and when I started I lived on Brincliffe Edge Road, but shortly after that we moved to Shiregreen and I had to get up very early indeed to catch the first bus from there to town, then a bus to Nether Edge. The money was quite good. I forget the name of the owners, but they gave me a breakfast — and £1 a week!

• 1 year later...
Anybody remember Reg Coffey from his newsrounds at Nether Edge in the 60's. He used to sell his papers and sort his rounds out in the passageway next to Tym's butcher's shop on Machin Bank Road? I used to deliver them

on Chelsea Road but the remuneration wasn't good. Then there was Payne's sweet shop on the corner of Nether Edge Road, Orme's on the other corner and on Sheldon Road, a Gowers & Burgon's grocers. Near Payne's was a haberdashery shop but I can't recall the name. Opposite was a hairdressers just before the bowling club, but the name escapes me. Was Shaw's the greengrocer's? Higher up on Netheredge Road was Beck's beer-off, where the boss was Bob Beck and he was helped by two twins, one of whom was called Eric Newbould but can't name the other?

I remember Reg. He sold newspapers at the Nether Edge bus terminus in the 50's. He played golf at Beauchief Golf Club. He was good golfer. Quite a character.

Archived