50p Tax band for high earners - good idea or not?

It's income tax, what have corporations got to do with it?

If one billionaire like Jim Ratcliffe leaves the UK along with his £multi-million salary and relocates to Switzerland where he buys his £600/bottle wine, his first class air tickets, his meals at the Ritz, his furniture, his cars, plays his golf, pays for his health care & where he pays his household staff etc etc. Then he relocates his companies head office there also, where his high rolling staff all pay their taxes, buy their wine, air tickets etc etc.. And the company pays its corporation tax there too....how many folk in the UK paying tax on £25K, but claiming benefits, NHS treatment, schooling for their kids does it take to make up the shortfall?

Is it? How? (genuine question)

Bedroom tax fr starters. I'm all for trying to cut the overall benefits bill but by charging people for an extra bedroom, particularly when there is no other social housing available with less bedrooms does look like putting the boot in for the sake of it. And how much has that saved? Not much I'd guess.

So labours tactics are, if all else fails, try to start a class war :rolleyes:

mmm Granny Tax, Pasty Tax, Bedroom Tax, stopping benefits, pushing disabled people into unsuitable work, bullying the unemployed attacks on education etc, then giving tax breaks to the wealthiest, all by the current set of clowns and you mention class war?

mmm Granny Tax, Pasty Tax, Bedroom Tax, stopping benefits, pushing disabled people into unsuitable work, bullying the unemployed attacks on education etc, then giving tax breaks to the wealthiest, all by the current set of clowns and you mention class war?

Granny tax never happened, neither did the pasty tax. Do try and keep up. Pushing disabled people into unsuitable work - haven't seen that. Taking people of dla, yes but actually making disabled people do jobs they can't do I haven't seen. Do you have an example?

Granny tax never happened, neither did the pasty tax. Do try and keep up. Pushing disabled people into unsuitable work - haven't seen that. Taking people of dla, yes but actually making disabled people do jobs they can't do I haven't seen. Do you have an example?

Do you? You can google each of them in turn and get hundreads of results.

I was thinking more about how working people on benefits have been disproportionately targeted. The government has a schizophrenic approach - it launches blanket attacks on benefits recipients whilst lauding 'hardworking people'. It seems to conveniently forget that many hardworking people are on benefits, in receipt of tax credits and housing benefits just to stay afloat.

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 12:44 ----------

I'm not so sure that people have been pushed into work they can't do but certainly there is plenty of evidence of Atos assessments finding people fit for work who are not fit for work. But that is where it becomes clear that the Atos assessments are not based on anything approaching reality - the people deemed fit, if they are not in the large group that challenge and overturn the Atos decision, are not finding work in huge numbers. If they were the government would be singing it from the rooftops. Guaranteed.

Archived