50p Tax band for high earners - good idea or not?

Many call themselves Civil Servants. A little outdated I agree, but I don't think anyone here is suggested that you should be paid less for equivalent work/pension benefit/ retirement age/ other benefits/job security. Can't see where anyone does. Many people in the private sector (the ones that pay your wages/pension/holidays etc) resent the fact you are paid more and seem to tell them what to do. The servant has become the master.

I may be wrong, but I can't find any such assertion.

Do you have evidence to prove that people in the public sector get paid more than those working in similar jobs in the private sector?

Do you have evidence to prove that people in the public sector get paid more than those working in similar jobs in the private sector?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10370699/Public-sector-workers-earn-3200-more-than-those-in-private-sector.html

Public sector workers across large swathes of Britain earn up to £3200 more than those working in the private sector.

Why does public sector need to be regarded as servants? If someone in the public sector does the equivalent job as someone in private, they should get going rate! Why would an intelligent person, work for public sector on less pay just to do their "duty". Would you be happy if the police officer or nurse that was looking after you, was not up to the job all because the decent people have gone somewhere else? Pay peanuts and get monkeys......

It's not just about pay. Traditionally public sector jobs have been seen as more stable and in certain roles have had good benefits like decent pensions. It's a trade off. Certain jobs too like nursing and policing have predominantly been available in the public sector and generally still are - if you have a burning desire to be a teacher or join the police or be a nurse then you will most likely be looking at the public sector. Likewise if you want to be a consultant surgeon your route to the top will most likely be through a series of public sector jobs - few private hospitals can provide the experience. The civil service itself, e.g. jobs directly with government departments, always were and still are highly sought after and many high achieving individuals take that route rather than the private sector. And if we look at plans to get public spending down to more sensible levels of 35-40% of GDP then you are looking at a huge proportion of jobs still being in the public sector.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 07:49 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10370699/Public-sector-workers-earn-3200-more-than-those-in-private-sector.html

Public sector workers across large swathes of Britain earn up to £3200 more than those working in the private sector.

It's not an average of £3200 though is it. The article is making the point that in economically depressed areas the pay differential between public and private sector is greater. But you would expect that if a common pay scale was applied across the country for public sector roles. The article doesn't even explain how the £3,200 figure is calculated.

The article does point out that the average differential is 6% and that in some areas public sector pay is lower.

It's not an average of £3200 though is it. The article is making the point that in economically depressed areas the pay differential between public and private sector is greater. But you would expect that if a common pay scale was applied across the country for public sector roles. The article doesn't even explain how the £3,200 figure is calculated.

The article does point out that the average differential is 6% and that in some areas public sector pay is lower.

Yep, so if you happen to work in the private sector in one of those areas, you would be justified in claiming that employees working in public sector are paid more than their private sector counterparts. Then when they interfere in your life unnecessarily, go on strike for more money, moan at not being paid enough or having to work to hard, its hardly surprising that some people resent them.

Yep, so if you happen to work in the private sector in one of those areas, you would be justified in claiming that employees working in public sector are paid more than their private sector counterparts. Then when they interfere in your life unnecessarily, go on strike for more money, moan at not being paid enough or having to work to hard, its hardly surprising that some people resent them.

Anybody can apply for a public sector role. In fact in areas where there is a big pay differential it is a rational choice and daft to turn yourself into an economic martyr by refusing to consider it.

Anybody can apply for a public sector role. In fact in areas where there is a big pay differential it is a rational choice and daft to turn yourself into an economic martyr by refusing to consider it.

I have spent half my working life working in the public sector and my kids work in the public sector, it was the obvious choice because the pay and conditions are better than the private sector.

That is not evidence that is an article from a right-leaning think tank published in a right-leaning newspaper aimed at trying to shape public opinion against public services to make the proposed cuts easier for the public to accept. That means Divide and Conquer to you.

That is not evidence that is an article from a right-leaning think tank published in a right-leaning newspaper aimed at trying to shape public opinion against public services to make the proposed cuts easier for the public to accept. That means Divide and Conquer to you.

This is from that well known right leaning source.. The Guardian...

"Overall, pay is higher in the public sector. The 2011 Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings figures - which we extracted separately from here - show a gross median salary of £28,802 in the public sector in 2011, compared to £25,000 (we use the median rather than the mean average because it's more representative)."

I don't think the proportions will have changed much over the past couple of years..

Another from the FT

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0599cdea-348b-11e2-8986-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2rhLPhkJp

Where is the left leaning think tank to counteract this study? I doubt there'll be one. It looks like evidence to me.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 09:44 ----------

I don't think posters here are denigrating people for working in the public sector - it is the sensible choice for people wanting better pay/pensions/hours/holidays in Sheffield. But it shouldn't be. Those of us in the private sector actually have to earn our money and pay taxes to support the public sector.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 09:56 ----------

http://www.bancaditalia.it/pubblicazioni/econo/temidi/td13/td907_13/en_td907/en_tema_907.pdf

here you go...:help:

Archived