50p Tax band for high earners - good idea or not?

The government has said that eliminating the deficit is the number one priority. Everyone else is having money taken off them to this end but not the rich. The Tories taxing the poor to pay off the deficit is alright with you but not taxing the rich even though both take money out of the economy.

Not taking money off the rich? I thought the rich pay tax at a rate of 45%?

We only have to look over the Channel to France to see how successful increasing taxes has been for a countrys' economy.

No. I'm suggesting that they should pay their employees a living wage. Then I wont have to do it for them, with my taxes.

You do understand that if they pay more in wages, they will pay less in tax, the very tax's that are subsiding their employees pay.

You do understand that if they pay more in wages, they will pay less in tax, the very tax's that are subsiding their employees pay.

Yes, I do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Justin King would have to have a very poor accountant if his taxes were to make up all of the in-work benefits of the 60% of Sainsburys employees that claim them.

Yes, I do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Justin King would have to have a very poor accountant if his taxes were to make up all of the in-work benefits of the 60% of Sainsburys employees that claim them.

Justin King revealed that Sainsbury pays a 59pc effective rate of tax and is the 14th biggest corporate taxpayer in Britain despite being just the 46th largest company.

Justin King revealed that Sainsbury pays a 59pc effective rate of tax and is the 14th biggest corporate taxpayer in Britain despite being just the 46th largest company.

Justin King is paid £4 300 000 per year.

60% of the employees that help to generate profits to pay his huge wage are on in-work benefits.

Justin King is an indirect benefit scrounger.

Justin King is paid £4 300 000 per year.

60% of the employees that help to generate profits to pay his huge wage are on in-work benefits.

Justin King is an indirect benefit scrounger.

Justin king is at the helm of a monster. He employs thousands of people, which in turn generates public spending which benefits us all. Let him have his 4,3 million. I wish I had it, but I don't and although I'm jealous of his wealth, I don't think he should pay a huge chunk of it in tax.

Justin king is at the helm of a monster. He employs thousands of people, which in turn generates public spending which benefits us all. Let him have his 4,3 million. I wish I had it, but I don't and although I'm jealous of his wealth, I don't think he should pay a huge chunk of it in tax.

I don't begrudge him a penny of his pay. Nor do I think that he should be taxed any more than he is now.

I do think that a company that can pay executives so much shouldn't really need the state to subsidise the wages of their front line staff.

So, boys and girls, what do we think to Labour's 50p tax rate proposal, on earnings over £160,000?

Personally I'm in favour, (surprise,surprise), but what do you think?

(If I knew how to do it, I'd do a poll, - if anybody else wants to add one feel free.)

The big question is how can some one be worth £160,000 a year while others try to survive on £10,000 sumat wrong some where.

And please don't give me the old chest nut that so and so has had to work hard to get to that level of salary because who works harder than a binman,nurse, bricklayer, cleaner, steelworker,or any other of the thousands of people who slave away at back breaking jobsday after day year after year without recognition when the gongs are given out or when the salarys are discussed.

Archived