50p Tax band for high earners - good idea or not?

I don't begrudge him a penny of his pay. Nor do I think that he should be taxed any more than he is now.

I do think that a company that can pay executives so much shouldn't really need the state to subsidise the wages of their front line staff.

How many of his staff are subsided by the state, is it just the staff with children or all of them.

Justin king is at the helm of a monster. He employs thousands of people, which in turn generates public spending which benefits us all. Let him have his 4,3 million. I wish I had it, but I don't and although I'm jealous of his wealth, I don't think he should pay a huge chunk of it in tax.

Jealousy is the jaundice of the soul.

I think a lot of super rich folk suffer from mental health problems, I can't understand why anyone would want so much dosh. I like rich people like this, they seem normal.

http://timidheathen.tumblr.com/post/7043004518/jk-rowling-on-paying-taxes

I suppose anyone who earns this amount has surely done something to get it. Professors and lawyers etc, who have spent many years learning their professions have done nothing wrong for the privilege of earning a decent salary, for the unskilled to be envious of, and for the government to come along and take it from them in tax. I don't earn anywhere near that figure, and that's my problem for not doing better in education or on the employment ladder in general. It always makes me laugh when I hear people say "they can afford it", but their private expenditures are nobody's business but their own.

75% of barristers are from private education so they have got to their level of income through wealth and privilage .

And this method of jobs for the boys [and girls] is prevalant through all the top professions.

The big question is how can some one be worth £160,000 a year while others try to survive on £10,000 sumat wrong some where.

And please don't give me the old chest nut that so and so has had to work hard to get to that level of salary because who works harder than a binman,nurse, bricklayer, cleaner, steelworker,or any other of the thousands of people who slave away at back breaking jobsday after day year after year without recognition when the gongs are given out or when the salarys are discussed.

No company will pay that much to someone who they don't think is worth it. It's like a Club paying a footballer more money to secure him to them. Its supply and demand. No club would pay me a big salary to play for them, but a business may pay me more than a professional football to run a business. It's about supply and demand - natural law.

75% of barristers are from private education so they have got to their level of income through wealth and privilage .

And this method of jobs for the boys [and girls] is prevalant through all the top professions.

Sooooo you would like an undereducated Barrister representing you. Tell you what - why don't you get Mecky to represent you - he'll be cheap :hihi:

However they got their wealth shouldn't be of any importance to us. Neither should how much tax they pay.

Not really.

Can you spot the link?

Maybe - the large amount of taxes that the wealthy pay to support the country - go on benefits partly, so yes there is a link. But there is following that a link yo hospitals roads education so yes...... but perhaps not the direct link to 40/45/50% tax rate discussion

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 21:11 ----------

However they got their wealth shouldn't be of any importance to us. Neither should how much tax they pay.

very good point :love:

Archived