50p Tax band for high earners - good idea or not?

lets think about this then how to force business away by labour by bringing 50p tax back in if labour get back in god help us.

The UK top rate of tax ranks only 11th highest in Europe which means there are plenty of European countries with a higher rate than us. Are they beating a path to our door?

Does it indeed? Perhaps if you had my pay packet and that of others in the public sector you'd change your mind Ivanava. If I worked in the private sector for what I do I'd get at least another £15k a year with the quals I have.

Yes indeed they do, the vast majority of public sector workers are paid more than the people doing a similar job in the private sector.

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 07:08 ----------

But the money that is taken away doesn't just disappear. It's also spent, by the government, and as you say this increases employment and is good for the economy.

And if the rich people wouldn't have spent it all in the local economy (which, I'd argue, they wouldn't; they'd have saved some of it, spent some of it overseas, etc), then the economy as a whole is positively better off.

Whereas pretty much the whole income of somebody on, say, £10,000 a year will be spent in the local economy (whether or not any of that £10,000 is taken away as tax).

Remember, we're not talking about what may or may not be "fair" here, we're talking about what would be best for the economy.

The government also don't spend it all in the local economy, nor do the poor, they are more likely to spend in on stuff that is VAT free, made in another country or on illegal fags and booze.

The amount of additional revenue a 50p tax band generates is chicken feed. Balls is playing to the crowd, he ideologically wants to punish the rich, which goes down well with the lower orders.

The lower orders, eh? Which branch of the aristocracy do you belong to, out of interest?

Personally I'm in favour, (surprise,surprise), but what do you think?

(

If someone on PAYE earns 150k then they'll be paying not far off 60k in tax and NI.. someone earning 15k a year pays around 2k tax and NI..the high earners are already paying 3 times more as a percentage ..and you want even more off them? What economic reasons do you have?

If someone on PAYE earns 150k then they'll be paying not far off 60k in tax and NI.. someone earning 15k a year pays around 2k tax and NI..the high earners are already paying 3 times more as a percentage ..and you want even more off them? What economic reasons do you have?

Politics of envy appears to be a big part of the reasons. As I've said before, many people seem to think tax rises on everyone earning more than them is acceptable....

Archived