Abbissinia bridge ---

Hi flightliner abbissinia bridge is/was on hawke street and runs over the river don.hawke st runs from brightside lane and joins janson street, janson st runs up to attercliffe common and is opposite the old carbrook school.Janson st &Hawke st is now aduel carriage way.

Daffodil , many thanks, I can put my dad at a specific place now, know it well but not its name, next time I go over I will imagine him there.

I was beggining to think no one knew the answer to its exact location.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi flightliner abbissinia bridge is/was on hawke street and runs over the river don.hawke st runs from brightside lane and joins janson street, janson st runs up to attercliffe common and is opposite the old carbrook school.Janson st &Hawke st is now aduel carriage way.

some interesting shots on PICTURE SHEFFIELD including the original wooden structure :- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07612&prevUrl=

and the replacement steel footbridge :- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07611&prevUrl=

FROM WIKIPEDIA :-Abyssinia Bridge[edit]

This bridge carries the A6102 Sheffield Outer Ring Road dual carriageway (Hawke Street / Jansen Street) over the River Don. The bridge got its name from the 1868 invasion of Abyssinia by British troops.[77] The first Abyssinia Bridge was built of wood in 1868. It was later replaced by a metal bridge which remained the footpath link between Attercliffe and Brightside until Hawke Street and Jansen Street were joined by a road bridge in 1908. There is some debate about whether the original wooden Abyssinia Bridge crossed the river at the same place as the current Amberley Street footbridge

Archived