Wedding DJ required - September 2015

Craigfox99

We got married at Ringwood Hall last summer and used their resident DJ from Tropicana (aka John Smith Discos). He was excellent, did exactly as we asked him to do (timings, sound levels, etc), had decent equipment, used our playlist and was generally great. I'd really recommend using him over anybody else. I think he is fractionally more expenseive than external DJs but I think you need to pay a charge to use a different DJ, but it is still well worth using the usual guy.

Thank you for that response......that's the type of opinion I am looking for.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

The Ringwood hall DJ does look good, we just want to make sure we get a good DJ that would suit us. So it may well be him, but would like a couple more opinions just to make sure

We got married at Ringwood Hall last summer and used their resident DJ from Tropicana (aka John Smith Discos). He was excellent, did exactly as we asked him to do (timings, sound levels, etc), had decent equipment, used our playlist and was generally great. I'd really recommend using him over anybody else. I think he is fractionally more expenseive than external DJs but I think you need to pay a charge to use a different DJ, but it is still well worth using the usual guy.

Spinnaker - you shouldnt have to pay anybody not to use the resident dj. You are booking with the venue not with him so there should be no clause or fee. You can bet your bottom dollar they guy doesnt get what the hotel charge you and that is why they try to make you pay so they dont lose the margin they get out of the booking.

To the OP, i would say dont go for the cheapest, you do get what you pay for sometimes, make sure you meet with the people first and make sure you get a contract agreed with them. As you have a recommendation then why not arrange to go see him in action, that way you will get an idea of what they are like.

I'm not touting for the business but, as a dj, i will say that for a wedding its a one off occassion (hopefully) and the right dj can make all the difference to the night and the wrong one can ruin it.

congratulations on your forthcoming wedding sir but get the right person for the job not the budget.

sheffbag - thanks for your input. They don't charge you to use other people but I think they have a rule that whatever gear an external DJ brings along needs to be checked before being approved for use. I seem to recall that they make a small charge to check this. Ringwood would be able to confirm if this is still the case or not.

We were a bit nervous about choosing a DJ for the wedding and did look at a few others but thought we'd minimise the risk and stick with the guy who did weddings there most weekends, had decent equipment and a proven track record with the hotel and wedding crowds. We were very happy with everything.

When they say that an "external" DJ's gear needs to be checked, they most likely meant they would need to see current PAT (Portable Appliance Test) certificates to prove that his kit has been tested to be safe.

Any decent DJ will be able to provide that plus Public Liability Insurance as standard.

Archived