Why is there no 'Britain Day'?

We could have Trafalgar Day on 21st October, a time of year when we could do with a BH. But as it happened 205 years ago maybe we've missed the boat (ho ho). Or we could convert bonfire night into a BH, to mark the foiling of catholic plotters against our wonderful British democracy :|

Because we would be branded as racists by all the migrants, remember the fiasco with the England flags at the last euro championship?

What fiasco? There never was an attempt by anyone to band England flags, it would be massively illegal. This was just a ridiculous over the top reaction by the Daily Racist (Mail). The story I seem to remember it coming from was about a motorist who, the police asked to remove his England flag that was flying OUTSIDE HIS CAR (attached to his aerial I believe).

Stop believing the stupidity in the press my friend. You live in the world of the internet, there is no excuse for believing miss-information.

What fiasco? There never was an attempt by anyone to band England flags, it would be massively illegal. This was just a ridiculous over the top reaction by the Daily Racist (Mail). You live in the world of the internet, there is no excuse for believing miss-information.

Some people actually want to believe it because it confirms their prejudices.

Interesting. What do you think comes first, the misinformation (of which this is an example) or the prejudice?

I think that some people make their minds up about various subjects and they then go looking for the evidence to back up their point of view. It's like a proactive conformation bias.

Interesting. What do you think comes first, the misinformation (of which this is an example) or the prejudice?

Both complement each other.The prejudice can be there to start with and just be backed up by misinformation,the misinformation could be first and then prejudice formed,sometimes people will just simply not believe what they are told,despite all the evidence for or against what they believe being presented to them,sometimes because they have been brainwashed into believing something is true or not true.

I think that some people make their minds up about various subjects and they then go looking for the evidence to back up their point of view. It's like a proactive conformation bias.

Ok, so if the poster had lived in a bubble all his life with no contact with society (think Mowgli) do you think he would be as susceptible to the flag lie as he is? Or do you think that perhaps various other pieces of misinformation has set a foundation that allows rubbish like the flag story to blossom? I am fairly certain that he didn't go looking for this information, but it was forced upon him. Quite possibly by an equally gullible friend on facebook.

Both complement each other.The prejudice can be there to start with and just be backed up by misinformation,the misinformation could be first and then prejudice formed,sometimes people will just simply not believe what they are told,despite all the evidence for or against what they believe being presented to them,sometimes because they have been brainwashed into believing something is true or not true.

I agree with you. Fascinating topic isn't it? Is societies prejudice a result of the abuse of mass media? Or is the lies in mass media a result of societies innate prejudice?

Archived