Why is there no 'Britain Day'?

A Great Britain day would be ace and id support it. We could celebrate our history and our achievements like how we triumphed in two world wars and how we ended slavery to name but two.

Seriously? Please tell me you posted that as a joke? Surely the standard of education in this country cannot be that poor that nonsense such as this is given credence.

WE did not triumph in any World War. What we did do however, was play an honourable and significant part in ending up on the winning side together with our allies, several of whom played a greater and more significant role in the victory.

Our contribution was worthy enough to stand on it's own, without trying to embellish it.

As for ending slavery, you are aware that this country was one of the main financial beneficiaries of slavery for over 300 years?

It was only when it began to be economically unviable because America had won it's freedom and could purchase slaves from the Dutch and Portuguese that it become an acceptable idea to abolish slavery.

As for the OP I think it may be because 'Britain' is not really an entity. Britain comprises England,Scotland and Wales.

Despite the union being in existence since 1707 British people still mainly divide ourselves into English, Scots and Welsh.

Why the English don't celebrate St Georges day is another matter. No one is stopping anyone from doing so.

The Catalans have St George as a patron saint and manage to celebrate with enormous enthusiasm every 23 April.

Maybe the English are not a party people?

Ok, so if the poster had lived in a bubble all his life with no contact with society (think Mowgli) do you think he would be as susceptible to the flag lie as he is? Or do you think that perhaps various other pieces of misinformation has set a foundation that allows rubbish like the flag story to blossom? I am fairly certain that he didn't go looking for this information, but it was forced upon him. Quite possibly by an equally gullible friend on facebook.

I agree with you. Fascinating topic isn't it? Is societies prejudice a result of the abuse of mass media? Or is the lies in mass media a result of societies innate prejudice?

It is interesting,put it up as a new topic for discussion as this is drifting off topic on this thread.

We could have Trafalgar Day on 21st October, a time of year when we could do with a BH. But as it happened 205 years ago maybe we've missed the boat (ho ho). Or we could convert bonfire night into a BH, to mark the foiling of catholic plotters against our wonderful British democracy :|

Battle of Britain day (September). Again, maybe a bit late getting ball rolling but certainly worthy.

What special day do we have though that's central to our national identity. The Americans celebrate their war of independence , The French commemorate the storming of the bastille, Australia their independence. We don't really have anything similar.

Australia has Australia Day commemmorating Cook's landing. (The Aboriginees don't celebrate it, they call it something else like Slavery day.

We used to have Empire Day, now very non-PC.

I'm all for another Bank Holiday but we don't celebrate patron saints days (not once have I seen St Andrews day celebrated anywhere - even in Scotland. Rabbie Burns gets more press!). Let's be honest St Patrick's day is an excuse to get drunk - and I do have Irish ancestors!

Britain day? To celebrate what? And if my countrymen on the Yes side get their way nporth of the border not sure how they'd fit in exactly but another day off ? Why not!

We used to have Empire Day, now very non-PC.

Most countries celebrate what they have. Empire day would be celebrating what we don't have, or lost. Some may not want to be reminded of that.

With fervent nationalism comes the other side of the coin..accepting the responsibility and consequence of past dictatorship and brutal rule, if you didn't bend that is. Probably just as well to keep heads low.

Seriously? Please tell me you posted that as a joke? Surely the standard of education in this country cannot be that poor that nonsense such as this is given credence.

WE did not triumph in any World War. What we did do however, was play an honourable and significant part in ending up on the winning side together with our allies, several of whom played a greater and more significant role in the victory.

Our contribution was worthy enough to stand on it's own, without trying to embellish it.

As for ending slavery, you are aware that this country was one of the main financial beneficiaries of slavery for over 300 years?

It was only when it began to be economically unviable because America had won it's freedom and could purchase slaves from the Dutch and Portuguese that it become an acceptable idea to abolish slavery.

As for the OP I think it may be because 'Britain' is not really an entity. Britain comprises England,Scotland and Wales.

Despite the union being in existence since 1707 British people still mainly divide ourselves into English, Scots and Welsh.

Why the English don't celebrate St Georges day is another matter. No one is stopping anyone from doing so.

The Catalans have St George as a patron saint and manage to celebrate with enormous enthusiasm every 23 April.

Maybe the English are not a party people?

Totally agree about then ignorance of the war. It's as if people base their knowledge of history on a few drunken football chants.

As for st George though, I suspect the level of ignorance over what is really just a myth is even worse.

I bet most of the people who want to celebrate St George's day probably think he was English....

Americans have July 4th for Independence (though they celebrate thanks for us English on Thanksgiving in November!:hihi:), the Australians had their national day yesterday, and most foreign nationals have their own special day.

Most national days are when the host country celebrate their independence... usually from Britain :hihi:

I suppose we could celebrate kicking out the Vikings or the Romans but I'm sure most of us will be happy with a Thatcher day, where we celebrate her demise instead.

Archived