Royal Overspending - Solutions?

Utter twaddle. Whilst the public school system practically guaranteed you a place at university it doesn't guarantee you a top degree. Ill dig out the article.top of the educational food chain are the south Koreans - their kids do something like a 14 hour school day 6 days a week. They'll probably be able to rattle off our entire list of kings and queens in several languages.

I was in China last year and was impressed by the people we met how motivated they were and realised the value of education.

It was also impressive how many spoke English.

Public school isn't restricted by class..more like who can pay..I know builders and electricians who's kids have gone to fee paying schools..would a presidency remove the class system ? Have paying schools disappeared in the States? Are there none in Ireland..?

I believe the US education system is ranked as one of the best in the world and Ireland's is ranked above Germany and Japan.

That's not the point though is it? We're talking about the UK and to be the eighth richest (we're dropping by the way, used to be fifth a few years ago) with a state education only nineteenth it shows the attitude of the establishment to the general population.

One of the problems we have is that everyone in a position to improve state education has a personal vested interest in not doing so.

They all buy their children out of the system and if you made it a level playing field they would be wasting their money and exposing their children to real competition.

We have had a number of recent examples as to exactly how altruistic our beloved leaders are. :)

I believe the US education system is ranked as one of the best in the world and Ireland's is ranked above Germany and Japan.

That's not the point though is it? We're talking about the UK and to be the eighth richest (we're dropping by the way, used to be fifth a few years ago) with a state education only nineteenth it shows the attitude of the establishment to the general population.

One of the problems we have is that everyone in a position to improve state education has a personal vested interest in not doing so.

They all buy their children out of the system and if you made it a level playing field they would be wasting their money and exposing their children to real competition.

We have had a number of recent examples as to exactly how altruistic our beloved leaders are. :)

America has some fine educational institutions but ranks 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science.

I don't know/care. How other countries are run has no bearing on what is good for this country.

I see. Well that's all fine then.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 16:13 ----------

Maybe I have given it a bit more thought than 'the masses'?

As to my political viewpoint I believe with a few honourable exceptions most politicians are selfserving opportunists few of whom have ever worked in a proper job and are more interested in their next expenses scam than their constituents.

Given the voting system in this country there is no possibility of me 'wishing to influence' anything. Pointless exercise.

As to you swapping with the royals, as I said earlier don't worry about it, you wont get the chance. :)

You have clearly given it more thought but now you sound like a patrician or an who knows what's best for the little people who waste their time thinking about footy and X Factor.

If you don't want to influence people against monarchy then why explain your views on here?

Utter twaddle. Whilst the public school system practically guaranteed you a place at university it doesn't guarantee you a top degree. Ill dig out the article.top of the educational food chain are the south Koreans - their kids do something like a 14 hour school day 6 days a week. They'll probably be able to rattle off our entire list of kings and queens in several languages.

Are you trying to tell me that attending a public school has no influence on future prospect?

Whether or not you obtain a top degree you will still have an advantage over a state school student unless he /she has obtained far higher qualifications.

Incidentally several of my cousins both here and in Ireland have attended private schools and three are currently still doing so.

What I would like is an improvement in state schooling to the point where the difference educationally was insignificant.

Don't thing that's an unreasonable wish but can't see it happening.

Are you trying to tell me that attending a public school has no influence on future prospect?

Whether or not you obtain a top degree you will still have an advantage over a state school student unless he /she has obtained far higher qualifications.

Incidentally several of my cousins both here and in Ireland have attended private schools and three are currently still doing so.

What I would like is an improvement in state schooling to the point where the difference educationally was insignificant.

Don't thing that's an unreasonable wish but can't see it happening.

I think it'll take far more than you can save by canning the Royals..

I see. Well that's all fine then.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 16:13 ----------

You have clearly given it more thought but now you sound like a patrician or an who knows what's best for the little people who waste their time thinking about footy and X Factor.

If you don't want to influence people against monarchy then why explain your views on here?

Oh, so sorry. I was under the impression that this was a forum where people posted their opinions on subjects and a discussion took place.

Obviously if someone holds a differing opinion to you they should keep it to themselves.

If you read my post at number 73 page 4 of this thread I explained in the first sentence and paragraph why I was posting.

That acceptable to you?

The patrician bit was very funny though, born in Heeley and a Blades season ticket holder for 42 years. :D

Oh, so sorry. I was under the impression that this was a forum where people posted their opinions on subjects and a discussion took place.

Obviously if someone holds a differing opinion to you they should keep it to themselves.

If you read my post at number 73 page 4 of this thread I explained in the first sentence and paragraph why I was posting.

That acceptable to you?

The patrician bit was very funny though, born in Heeley and a Blades season ticket holder for 42 years. :D

Interesting, I'd just swear the oath, it doesn't mean you have to lick her boots. That's the thing with abstract principles, they harm you and nobody else notices.

The only team of any worth is Millwall surely? The Blades never earned a Panorama devoted to them.

Archived