Royal Overspending - Solutions?

On another current thread on the same subject I made the point that in this country the Armed forces, Police force, Judiciary and Politicians are all funded by the taxpayer, despite which they all swear allegiance to the Crown. The Crown is also funded by the taxpayer.

All of these institutions should swear allegiance to the Country which they draw their living from,and which they should be serving.

is that the same issue as preferring to be a citizen rather than a subject - again, does it really matter?

It's quite simple. The institution of monarchy is outdated, anachronistic and divisive and should be abolished.

The idea in this day and age that some people are somehow intrinsically 'Better' than others simply because they were born into a particular family is ridiculous.

No matter how royalists try to spin it, that is the essence of royalty.

That is my solution Royal Overspending. :)

Would you be happy with a president getting preferential treatment?

i'm not trying to be deliberately stupid - it just comes naturally, but how does the privilege they receive affect you?

i don't see how it affects me in any way that matters to me, but if you could enlighten me you may win a convert to your cause

Well actually I'm not trying to win any converts, simply give my point of view. :)

I accepted long ago that due to attitudes in the general population - usually not thought through - the monarchy is staying, at least in my lifetime.

Mind you I haven't been very well lately. :)

As to how it effects me, well on two occasions in the past I was invited to apply to become a Magistrate.

I would actually have liked to do that, as I feel they carry out a much needed service and return something to the general public.

On both occasions I regretfully declined.

In order to serve as a Magistrate you are required to take an oath to the Crown.

Unlike Prince Charles I take oaths seriously. :)

There are quite a number of jobs and organizations in this country which require such an oath and all of them are debarred to people who hold the same views as I do.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 11:45 ----------

is that the same issue as preferring to be a citizen rather than a subject - again, does it really matter?

Citizen = Equal

Subject = from the verb, conquer and control.

Yes, I think it does.

It's quite simple. The institution of monarchy is outdated, anachronistic and divisive and should be abolished.

The idea in this day and age that some people are somehow intrinsically 'Better' than others simply because they were born into a particular family is ridiculous.

No matter how royalists try to spin it, that is the essence of royalty.

That is my solution Royal Overspending. :)

Difficult to disagree with that.

If would-be teachers, doctors, MPs or other public servants were appointed to jobs, without any kind of qualifications or selection process, solely on the basis that their parents and grandparents had been teachers, medics or politicians, it would be seen as unfair and ridiculous. Yet when it happens with the Royals (or for that matter, hereditary peers, although they're on the way out), few objections are raised.

It's a mad world :rolleyes:

If would-be teachers, doctors, MPs or other public servants were appointed to jobs, without any kind of qualifications or selection process, solely on the basis that their parents and grandparents had been teachers, medics or politicians, it would be seen as unfair and ridiculous. Yet when it happens with the Royals (or for that matter, hereditary peers, although they're on the way out), few objections are raised.

It's a mad world :rolleyes:

Yep just imagine if it happened with politicians

http://www.europeantruth.co.uk/kinnock.html

Would you be happy with a president getting preferential treatment?

Presidents are merely the temporary first citizens of their country. Any deference paid to them is purely an indication of respect for the country which they represent.

They get voted in and voted out.

The American Presidency is somewhat different as he/she is also the Chief Executive and wields the power.

Personally I would prefer something more like the Irish version under which arrangement the PM would be the chief executive.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 12:04 ----------

Yep just imagine if it happened with politicians

http://www.europeantruth.co.uk/kinnock.html

Haven't read the link but tell me was there a vote involved at any point? If so that's just the way it goes.

If not the system should be changed.

Its a mad world :rolleyes:

This guy thinks the same.:)

Archived