Royal Overspending - Solutions?

The monarchy is part of Britain and its identity which the country can afford.

How would we be better off without it except for the ideological gains of the minority.

Oaths are sworn to the Queen to avoid any political bias.

The Royal family is a central point which people can show allegiance to whatever their political allegiance in times of peace and war.

How would you decide?

I doubt that I personally would be on the interview panel, but one must assume those who are will be experienced in appointing people to high office and will have a bit of a checklist and some questions.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 13:52 ----------

The monarchy is part of Britain and its identity which the country can afford.

How would we be better off without it except for the ideological gains of the minority.

Oaths are sworn to the Queen to avoid any political bias.

The Royal family is a central point which people can show allegiance to whatever their political allegiance in times of peace and war.

Please explain why I need to show allegiance to anything (other than people and institutions that matter to me, and they will vary from person to person)? Unconditional allegiance to the monarch is a mediaeval religious concept, for which I feel no need in my life. If I reject the Divine Right of Kings and the institution of monarchy, I cannot meaningfully swear allegiance to it, can I? If there is another war on this soil I doubt being able to do our best Girl Guide salute will be of much practical use tbh, but if one's 'loyalty' to one's country is called upon, it could simply be that : loyalty to the United Kingdom (or what's left of it).

I doubt that I personally would be on the interview panel, but one must assume those who are will be experienced in appointing people to high office and will have a bit of a checklist and some questions.

So it wouldn't be an elected position?

If there was no Royal family in the UK who would you have as President?

it depends on what the president's role is - if all the monarch's state duties were passed to the prime minister, would you even need a president?

if the monarch's current role was transferred to a president, presumably there would be an election

just another politician with his/her nose in the trough

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 13:52 ----------

Please explain why I need to show allegiance to anything (other than people and institutions that matter to me, and they will vary from person to person).? Unconditional allegiance to the monarch is a mediaeval religious concept, for which I feel no need in my life. If I reject the Diving Right of Kings and the institution of monarchy, I cannot meaningfully swear allegiance to it, can I?

My point was that the monarchy is non political and so people can in times of need show a single allegiance regardless of political differences.

So it wouldn't be an elected position?

It could be, but presumably the applicants will have had to go through some sort of selection process before they are approved as suitable candidates, then perhaps the whole country could vote for someone on the shortlist.

Otherwise you'd get a few hundred randomers, anxious for their moment of fame, including not a few Monster Raving Loony types...which might be quite fun, but probably not quite what we need.

People who know something about the arts, or science, (rather than just politics, business or banking) would be a good start.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 14:00 ----------

My point was that the monarchy is non political and so people can in times of need show a single allegiance regardless of political differences.

You could still swear allegiance to your country without it being a party political gesture. IIRC French soldiers do not swear allegiance to the President, but to the French Republic.

As to how it effects me, well on two occasions in the past I was invited to apply to become a Magistrate.

I would actually have liked to do that, as I feel they carry out a much needed service and return something to the general public.

On both occasions I regretfully declined.

In order to serve as a Magistrate you are required to take an oath to the Crown.

Unlike Prince Charles I take oaths seriously. :)

There are quite a number of jobs and organizations in this country which require such an oath and all of them are debarred to people who hold the same views as I do.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 11:45 ----------

Citizen = Equal

Subject = from the verb, conquer and control.

Yes, I think it does.

i appreciate your ethical position, but aren't they just words? - maybe i'm just not as moral as you, but such an oath wouldn't bother me

and isn't the oath simply because of the legal niceties of the crown being the prosecutor rather than the state?

are we as individuals any less equal or do we have fewer rights because we are called subjects rather than citizens?

It could be, but presumably the applicants will have had to go through some sort of selection process before they are approved as suitable candidates, then the whole country could vote for someone on the shortlist.

Otherwise you'd get a few hundred randomers, anxious for their moment of fame, including not a few Monster Raving Loony types...which might be quite fun, but probably not quite what we need.

People who know something about the arts, or science, (rather than just politics, business or banking) would be a good start.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 14:00 ----------

You could still swear allegiance to your country without it being a party political gesture.

But the monarchy aspect removes politics from the equation.

Archived