Where to travel North for 2-3 days break?

ash-uk

Hi. I recently moved to Sheffield and I have a buddy visitng me for 2-3 days. Where can we drive up to for a short break and some good back fun - nice pubs and good food? What route should we follow that gives a good flavor of the countryside as well as stopovers at towns in the evenings? I am sure you guys go out for long weekends to some nice places. (He is coming from London so we must go further north). Thanks.

I'd head up to somewhere such as Whitby for the night, then head back in to say York/Harrogate way.

That would take up two good nights.

Alternatively, get on the train and have 2 cracking nights in Edinburgh. (I know a brilliant Guest House - 4 thistle Scottish Tourist Board rated).

Cheers

Jim:thumbsup:

Nice pubs & good food?

Check out http://www.talltrees.co.uk/ and spend a few days in Yarm and you've got a brilliant base for access to pubs & good food. Yarm itself has some fantastic restaurants & pubs, but nearly by in Appleton Whiske there's a fantastic Shorthorne Inn. Richmond has a fantastic array of pub grub, and the castle for a walk around on a nice day. And of course it's in driving distance of Durham, Newcastle, Whitby, Guisborough, North York Moors, The Dales & The Lake District.

I'd agree with what everyone's said so far....just come back from an amazing wkd in Robin Hoods Bay...absolutley breathtaking. good to know that even when there's snow topped hills and the winds whipping in, you can still get an icecream on the beach! :)

For a three day break - drive over as if going to Bridlington. Then drive along the coastal roads to Scarborough and work your way up the coast from there.

Defo agree with what everyone's said so far. Whitby and Robin Hood's bay is lovely. Return A64 and A1 and go to Harrogate (Betty's tea shop) for a night on the way back.

My mum lives out that way but I've often taken my tent and stopped in some of the campsites up that route.

Or you could put them off the North for life and take them to Cleethorpes. Only a local could love it.

Thanks guys...we will be leaving on Wednesday. Any more suggestion as to which route to take from Sheffield going North. How long does it take to get to Edinburgh up the coastal route suggested?

Archived