Name and shame..

Yes, if its a large national business the mods allow it but if its a sheffield based business you can't warn others of shoddy workmanship.

Ive noticed that. About the big business i mean. I know the mods must have these rules in place for a good reason but it does seem unfair and one sided.

ITS wrong you cant warn members on here. I read on here and saw the picture a few days ago which mods took off about a member on here being taken to court. Its not fair that someone else will cop for them.::nono::

Its a reasonable policy, it wouldn't be right for anonymous members to slate local tradesmen and businesses.

It may seem unfair and one sided, but there are reasons why this is in place.

We allow negative feedback (xxx fitted my kitchen but didn't do a good job and I wouldn't recommend him to others) but we do not allow 'naming and shaming' (xxx is a total cowboy who rips people off).

Negative feedback is negative feedback- it's not defamatory if it's a simple statement of what has happened in your own opinion. However, very few people are prepared to just state opinion and their anger and frustration make them overstep the mark and start straying into the realm of accusation.

Now look at things from our point of view. Which user is reporting a genuine negative experience and which is a competitor looking to blacken the reputation of a trader? Don't know? Well neither do we! We have to err on the side of caution because we know that we have both genuine negative feedback and malicious feedback from competitors, just as we have genuine recommendations and advertising masquerading as a recommendation.

I'm going to close this thread because this really isn't up for discussion. Some decisions taken to remove threads have been taken at the sharp end of a claim for libel or defamation made against the site owner and therefore the decisions have to be taken for the good of the forum.

Users are entirely at liberty to post 'name and shame' type posts on a medium where they themselves are the only people who bear the legal brunt if someone takes legal action against them as a result of those posts.

Archived