School Uniform - a Good Thing, or Not?

Uniforms are by and large a good idea,they stop any competition to see who can wear the latest designer gear and makes the children all equal.

It also makes children less selfish and not create that ego, than it is about them integrating into society and as a group and find their own passion or strengths and weaknesses in themselves. It should not be able social acceptance, but educational strengths and weaknesses so that they are prepared for life.

If my EQ is high, then I should work harder to increase my IQ. If my IQ is high, then school should be about increasing my EQ and being kind and compassionate and so forth. There should be an equal distribution overall, and children should know how to actually utilise this kind of skill when the time comes.

Edited by salsafan

If school uniform is such a good idea, why don't teachers wear one? Nurses, police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, military forces etc all wear them, why not teachers?

But they do have a dress code these days. Not a 'uniform' as such, although it might as well be...it's very formal. Shirts, ties and smart trousers for men, smart skirts or trousers and jackets for women. Muted colours. Only PE and Art Teachers can get away with anything different. Definitely not the jeans and sweaters of the 70s.

So you think all professionals who serve the public should wear uniforms too? Why?

Edited by aliceBB

So you think all professionals who serve the public should wear uniforms too? Why?

That is what is being discussed. Why some should wear uniform and others not. My daughter thinks her teachers have double standards. I tend to agree.

Maybe PE is different, but why art; its a serious GCSE subject, isnt it?

Edited by El Cid

Didn't you know that many of the old and traditional companies actually have stricter dress codes ? In a way, it is indeed an extension of a school. That you are there to serve an entity, and not there to serve yourself, and behave and do what you want, but to follow orders, and to excel yourself and your business units too. It is still the same as if you were in school.

At school, you may respect yourself by wearing a uniform or making sure that your clothes look okay and acceptable. When you are used to this and that you are an adult and enter a world of work, you are there to serve as a member of a team, or a department and that you are supposed to respect yourself, your department and also your company, by working alongside others, dress in a professional manner, and still be respectful. Nothing changes except that the reason to do that something has changed as you get older.

Edited by salsafan

But they do have a dress code these days. Not a 'uniform' as such, although it might as well be...it's very formal. Shirts, ties and smart trousers for men, smart skirts or trousers and jackets for women. Muted colours. Only PE and Art Teachers can get away with anything different. Definitely not the jeans and sweaters of the 70s.

No, I don't, but I do think that if a school chooses to have a uniform policy (rather than a dress code which is quite different), then it should apply to the teachers too.

The police, the forces, medics and so on wear a uniform because it means they are easily recognised for what they are, when they need to be.

That is what is being discussed. Why some should wear uniform and others not. My daughter thinks her teacher have double standards. I ttend to agree.

Maybe PE is different, but why art; its a serious GCSE subject, isnt it?

Yes, but it is also a practical subject and involves paint, clay and other messy materials.

Saying teachers should wear a uniform simply because the pupils do, is daft. Pupils are there, compulsorily, to be educated; teachers are employed. Plus, teachers are adults; they are also professionals and can be trusted to dress appropriately.

Other professions who wear uniforms usually have a practical reason for doing so - e.g. the Army, so the enemy knows who to attack; in a hospital, it helps patients identify who is who. That is not a problem in schools. You know who are children and who are teachers.