Foreign Aid Given By The UK

Over the last few years most government departments have had their spending cut,some have had it slashed.The foreign aid budget however has been increased by around a 1/3rd to £13 billion a year.

In times of plenty then feel free to give more to the poorer countries, but we are constantly been told that the country is broke.If we are, then the foreign aid money should be cut in line with other budgets

Syria wouldn't really be included.

Iraq then.

1914 - 1918 - World War I.

1917 - Britain seizes Baghdad.

1920 - Britain creates state of Iraq with League of Nations approval.

1920 - Great Iraqi Revolution - rebellion against British rule.

1921 - Faysal, son of Hussein Bin Ali, the Sharif of Mecca, is crowned Iraq's first king.

1932 - Iraq becomes an independent state.

1939-1945 - World War II. Britain re-occupies Iraq.

After that Iraq's problem were caused by Iraqi infighting, wars with other counties in the region and the invasion of Kuwait.

And you can't really blame us for world war 1 and 2

Iraq was ruled by the Ottomans for centuries beforehand, then they were part of our domain. I don't think it's that difficult to imagine how being a colony can lead to political instability when you finally do gain independence. Tensions which arise from this instability can remain for decades.

So why is aid still being sent to China, India, Russia etc??

^^^^whilst India and china have money for something as daft as a space programme with level of poverty throughout their country and keep a straight face we need to keep our hands in our pockets unless we're going to be a bit more open and call it a bribe for trade. I've no problem with the amount of money but the recipients should be vetted to ensure minimal corruption so it helps those who need it. No more lambos for dictators please.

What emotion do you feel when you hear 600 million is being spent on Syrian refugees, rather than paying off the national debt?

:hihi: Oh my. Im being psychoanalysed by an internet troll :hihi:

Ok then, just for you. I feel sad that it could help people in our country when services are getting cut, the disabled losing money, almost every single department and service facing more cuts.

Apart from foreign aid.

Syria is nothing to do with us. Let someone else help for a change.

I think people are also forgetting that a proportion of the problems facing many countries are down to countries like us invading them and generally meddling in their affairs against their will over the last few centuries.

So are we in their debt forever?

:hihi: Oh my. Im being psychoanalysed by an internet troll :hihi:

Ok then, just for you. I feel sad that it could help people in our country when services are getting cut, the disabled losing money, almost every single department and service facing more cuts.

Apart from foreign aid.

Syria is nothing to do with us. Let someone else help for a change.

Lots of other people are helping.

If we can afford the billions for HS2 and replacement for Trident we could afford not to cut disabled payments or other services but our Government have decided on their priorities. There is no certainty that if we reduced the foreign aid budget to nil the savings would be passed on to the public. They may be pished up the wall elsewhere on computer systems that don't work or similar white elephants.

Also calling people trolls just because they disagree with you or ask for clarification....:nono:

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 19:37 ----------

^^^^whilst India and china have money for something as daft as a space programme with level of poverty throughout their country and keep a straight face we need to keep our hands in our pockets unless we're going to be a bit more open and call it a bribe for trade. I've no problem with the amount of money but the recipients should be vetted to ensure minimal corruption so it helps those who need it. No more lambos for dictators please.

I agree there should be stricter criteria for aid. If the Chinese or Indian governments want to spend money on space races, nuclear weapons or undermining Western manufacturing by subsidising their export businesses then we shouldn't be expected to take up their slack.

Iraq was ruled by the Ottomans for centuries beforehand, then they were part of our domain. I don't think it's that difficult to imagine how being a colony can lead to political instability when you finally do gain independence. Tensions which arise from this instability can remain for decades.

Not really our fault that the Ottoman's fought against us in world war 1 and lost.

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 20:11 ----------

In the long run??

How long have we been donating to African countries??

I was talking about the Syrian aid effort.

Archived