Flashing lights on cycles

Ive noticed more and more cyclists using stupidly bright lights on their bikes which is fine. It makes them more visible.

What i dont like is how some have them strapped to their head which makes the lights more or less at my eye level. My headlights have to at a certain height from the ground, a certain angle and a certain brightness or i get an MOT failure.

On more than one occasion ive been so badly dazzled it has caused me to have to stop my car and wait a few moments until my eyes readjust.

Add to that the fact they are on someones head so are constantly moving position and unlike a car or motorbike headlights they can easily take you by surprise even if you arent traveling in the opposite direction to the cyclist and you have a problem thats only going to get worse. Cyclists need to be seen on the rod

ad but not at the expense of everyone else on it!

I totally agree.

I'm all for cyclists being seen on the road.

But recently I had had to look away from the road as I approached a cyclist who had the brightest light on his bike that I'd ever seen on a bike - brighter than car lights, and the damn thing was pointing straight ahead and was flashing/blinking on and off. It ends up being the only thing you can see ahead, to the detriment of everyone else on the road who no one else approaching could see.

I don't have any issue with cyclists protecting themselves, but it has to be done sensibly.

Have either of you ever cycled at night on an unlit country road? Even cars with dipped headlights leave cyclists blinded for a while. Unfortunately most drivers don't seem to notice you and leave their headlights on full beam until they are almost upon you.

Have either of you ever cycled at night on an unlit country road? Even cars with dipped headlights leave cyclists blinded for a while. Unfortunately most drivers don't seem to notice you and leave their headlights on full beam until they are almost upon you.

You are perfectly entitled to start a thread about that seeing as its a different subject :)

Ive noticed more and more cyclists using stupidly bright lights on their bikes which is fine. It makes them more visible.

What i dont like is how some have them strapped to their head which makes the lights more or less at my eye level. My headlights have to at a certain height from the ground, a certain angle and a certain brightness or i get an MOT failure.

I have lights on my head. I do this for several reasons.

Firstly, some car drivers (just a few) seem to be blind, or oblivious. Being able to turn my head and aim the light at them seems to make them realise that I'm there.

Secondly, it allows me to turn my head and illuminate where I'm going, quite useful when the roads are full of pot holes that are more dangerous to me on a bike than to me in my car.

On more than one occasion ive been so badly dazzled it has caused me to have to stop my car and wait a few moments until my eyes readjust.

I doubt my light is that bright, I've certainly never seen a car pull up in what appears to be a response to my lights. Car lights are significantly brighter.

Add to that the fact they are on someones head so are constantly moving position and unlike a car or motorbike headlights they can easily take you by surprise

What? Like they jump out at your or something?

The whole idea is that you notice them, and the earlier the better.

even if you arent traveling in the opposite direction to the cyclist and you have a problem thats only going to get worse. Cyclists need to be seen on the road but not at the expense of everyone else on it!

It's hardly at anyone's expense if the worst that has happened is that you had to slow down.

Perhaps if (all) drivers were more careful cyclists wouldn't feel the need for lights that they can aim. But a minority of drivers aren't careful at all.

Funny, as a motorist I'm not dazzled by other peoples dipped headlights. I know cyclists like to think they are special but that's complete cobblers....

Cyclists need to be seen on the rod

ad but not at the expense of everyone else on it!

Therein lies the problem. Unless a cyclist is seen at the expense of everyone else, he isn't seen. He is then vulnerable and you have a SMIDSY situation

Archived