Flashing lights on cycles

I find it very hard to believe a cyclists light can be brighter than a pair of car headlights.

Especially one you'd attach to a helmet.

I haven't ever seen any used on roads, but I have certainly seen some LEDs worn by 'night MTBers' in nearby woods (not of the flashing variety) when I walk the dog, and they are definitely way stronger than your average car/bike dipped beams.

I've long been familiar with LED diving torches (not your average household LED torch ;)), but their throw distance actually spooked me a bit the first time I saw them.

The number of cyclists and runners that I've seen (only just) recently who are out in darkness or dusk wearing all dark colours, nothing reflective, nothing fluorescent and no lights is quite astonishing.

I agree that a very few are using lights that are too bright and in an alignment which dazzles other road users, but these are very much in the minority that I see, and I consider it better to be too bright, particularly on dark winter days or when visibility is not great.

All the research would suggest that the less 'special' equipment or clothing is required, the more people will cycle, the more drivers will get used to it and the safer everyone will be.

how do you get used to not being able to see them though?

Funny, as a motorist I'm not dazzled by other peoples dipped headlights. I know cyclists like to think they are special but that's complete cobblers....

It's not too difficult to understand. An incandescent bulb in a bike light will be about 1W. Compare that to the 2 x 50W or more for car headlights.

Even off road non LED cycle lights, the most comparable, are usually 10W to 20W.

the more visible a cyclist is, the better. amazing the number of motorists who cannot comprehend that other people are allowed to use the roads at the same time as them. these are the people who are most likely to kill someone on the road.

moving your mirrors to 'block out' a cyclist is just criminal. do you do it when an ambulance approaches? it may be on its way to the cyclist you just killed.

i dont cycle, i jog and drive. i nearly witnessed a cyclist being hit by an impatient driver who didnt notice the lit up cyclist as the driver shot onto the roundabout. the cyclist almost came off his bike. as a jogger i still find some drivers fail to see my bright flourescent top. i may have to start wearing lights too. blue flashing ones might be a good start. or a pair of flashing headlights, some drivers always notice their gormless buddies when they flash their headlights at them.

Why would they need too? if you are a pedestrian you should be on the path, if you are crossing the road you should not be running into the path of a car.

This is a genuine question, what situation would a car need to see you on our roads here in sheffield?

the more visible a cyclist is, the better. amazing the number of motorists who cannot comprehend that other people are allowed to use the roads at the same time as them. these are the people who are most likely to kill someone on the road.

moving your mirrors to 'block out' a cyclist is just criminal. do you do it when an ambulance approaches? it may be on its way to the cyclist you just killed.

i dont cycle, i jog and drive. i nearly witnessed a cyclist being hit by an impatient driver who didnt notice the lit up cyclist as the driver shot onto the roundabout. the cyclist almost came off his bike. as a jogger i still find some drivers fail to see my bright flourescent top. i may have to start wearing lights too. blue flashing ones might be a good start. or a pair of flashing headlights, some drivers always notice their gormless buddies when they flash their headlights at them.

So it's perfectly ok to create a dangerous situation by dazzling other road users with strobing bright lights?

TBH I don't see the point of strobing front white lights. Front lights are primarily designed to help you see where you're going therefore a steady on light beam is the perfect option.

Sadly there's no current legislation. However since cycling is on the increase hopefully that will be rectified soon.

Oh and as a cyclist, if I need to go down an unlit road, my lights are set to steady on, because as a driver also, I'm mindful of other road-users.

Why would they need too? if you are a pedestrian you should be on the path, if you are crossing the road you should not be running into the path of a car.

This is a genuine question, what situation would a car need to see you on our roads here in sheffield?

Many country roads don't have paths / pavements.

I used to run miles and sometimes in the dark on country lanes. No path, no alternative than to run on the road. I'd guess that's what muckymurphy is stating here (says he's a jogger).

Archived