Flashing lights on cycles

The subject is Cyclists dazzling drivers with super bright head mounted lights :)

---------- Post added 30-01-2014 at 13:09 ----------

So that means they are fine to dazzle other road users in their quest to stay upright?

My bike lights run off a small watch style battery, I havn't changed the battery for around 2 years,how can a small 12v battery generate such a dazzling brightness that it blinds other road users, your talking trash:loopy::loopy:

My bike lights run off a small watch style battery, I havn't changed the battery for around 2 years,how can a small 12v battery generate such a dazzling brightness that it blinds other road users, your talking trash:loopy::loopy:

Says the man whos 'mate' is going to court for a crime he didnt commit, without arrest, without caution, without interview :hihi:

Pull the other one. Its got bells on it :hihi:

Off topcic

"Lights (and reflectors) are required on a pedal cycle only between sunset and sunrise."

Reading that reminded me of a police camera action when the police stopped a motorbike with a racing faring that had no lights. The copper did so claiming it was against the law.

It wasn't, and the biker told them so. They tried numerous different higher ups to determine if he was right. It took them ages to get an answer - he was right-

By the time they did It was sunset so he wasn't legal any more:rolleyes:

On topic.

"Front Lamp

One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front"

So by my thinking if you've got a white headmount and look left or right your breaking the law

also from that site for the naysayers

"The suggestion that any lamp on a bicycle might cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other users of the road would have been laughable a few years ago, but not any more. It is not only illegal but doesn't actually improve your safety, should the person driving a heavy motor vehicle towards you be temporarily blinded by your headlamp! So please don't let it do that."

Off topcic

"Front Lamp

One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front"

So by my thinking if you've got a white headmount and look left or right your breaking the law

It says that you must have one lamp fitted up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards the front. It doesn't say you aren't allowed to have additional lighting.

the more visible a cyclist is, the better. amazing the number of motorists who cannot comprehend that other people are allowed to use the roads at the same time as them. these are the people who are most likely to kill someone on the road.

moving your mirrors to 'block out' a cyclist is just criminal. do you do it when an ambulance approaches? it may be on its way to the cyclist you just killed.

i dont cycle, i jog and drive. i nearly witnessed a cyclist being hit by an impatient driver who didnt notice the lit up cyclist as the driver shot onto the roundabout. the cyclist almost came off his bike. as a jogger i still find some drivers fail to see my bright flourescent top. i may have to start wearing lights too. blue flashing ones might be a good start. or a pair of flashing headlights, some drivers always notice their gormless buddies when they flash their headlights at them.

Well said I agree

Technically LED bulbs arent approved for road use at all. I think most people are fine with cyclists using LED's to boost their visibility but if you have to strap a strobing CREE lamp to your head then it may be worth questioning whether it's safe to cycle along that route at all.

Archived