Businesses, they often start in spare rooms.

Many businesses are started in a room, often a spare room. Some are started in sheds.

When a person has space in which to live, he can adapt it, he can use it. If he has sufficient space, he can start to use it to do productive things, rather than just to dwell.

Many people who have started businesses have done so in their own private space, be it a spare room, or a shed. Having this private space, allows them to start businesses.

If we wanted to make this country a bit more competitive and allow new businesses to flourish, then we could do so by increasing peoples access to private space.

Primarily we could do this by building bigger and better quality houses.

We could do it by extending land tenure rights akin to ownership to a greater amount of people.

If all citizens had access to private space, then more businesses could be formed, and businesses would be forced to become more competitive.

What do you think?

Should we increase people's access to private space?

Would a spare room for each citizen each be desirable in our society?

Would it improve our living standards?

Would it make it easier for citizens to start businesses?

Well it's change from the subsistance level shanty towns.

They are already being built illegally over here.

Shame people aren't legally allowed to build decent housing without government restriction eh.

I'd rather people legally built a hut and improved it, then built houses, than be condemned to illegally building huts.

They are already being built illegally over here.

Shame people aren't legally allowed to build decent housing without government restriction eh.

I'd rather people legally built a hut and improved it, then built houses, than be condemned to illegally building huts.

There needs to be a proper debate and joined up thinking on house building and population in general. We can't do your building willy nilly plan - it's daft and potentially very dangerous. But there are areas I've seen in places as diverse as Newcastle (specifically scotswood) and Mansfield where streets of housing have been knocked and nothing has happened to it. The streets are still there though - why don't people build there !?! Arguably they might not have needed to be knocked down at all. The plan that stoke council did where they sold knackered housing off for a quid each for people to renovate and live in and not sell on or rent out seemed a brilliant idea - if that works that needs rolling nationwide.

Sadly that will help those at the bottom of the ladder who are less likely to vote (and possibly affect those further up who do) so neither party will have the conkers to push it forward leaving streets of boarded up (often ex pathfinder) purchases rotting. What a waste.

Having said all that, a lot of councils (not sure about SCC) offer really cheap easy in - easy out start up offices/units. A spare room will only get you so far.

I've racked up over 10 years in the corner of my bedroom.

(Working from home before anyone chips in with smutty comments!)

Thinking about it a large chunk of my work is done on pc in the corner for longer than that so ignore that line!!!! But if the business is making money surely the bedroom tax (which is what the boy chem1st is getting at) wouldn't be a massive concern. I'm not an advocate of the bedroom tax btw but if you setting up a business I'm not sure it's an insurmountable hurdle.

How can people afford a big house with land, unless they are in paid work to begin with? Have I missed something? If you are in full time employment to pay off a mortgage, you are probably too knackered to get creative in the spare room. This is why my novel has not yet been wrote.

How can people afford a big house with land, unless they are in paid work to begin with? Have I missed something? If you are in full time employment to pay off a mortgage, you are probably too knackered to get creative in the spare room. This is why my novel has not yet been wrote.

Yes you have missed something. You are assuming everyone's circumstances are the same

Archived