Psalter pub. Is it any good?

Uptowngirl

We are looking to arrange a booze up in the Ecclesall area. Someone suggested the Psalter. It isn't a place I'm familiar with so wondered if anyone could clue me up?

We want a pub to meet in next Friday night. So really need somewhere that sells a good range of beers, doesn't charge £3.50/pint, and isn't packed to the rafters with students.

Anywhere between Whirlow Hall, Hangingwater Road & Hunters Bar.

I used to live around the corner from there but we always chose to go to the Lescar instead. The Psalter is pretty soulless, usually dead, and the range of beers is poor. The only thing it was good for was 2-1 pizzas.

The Stag (just up the road) is pretty good, but quite pricey. Especially now it's a Thornbridge. There's the Prince of Wales too (top of Cartleknowle), but again that's dear. To be honest you'll be pretty hard pushed to find anywhere that doesn't charge £3.50 a pint! Unless you go to the Wetherspoons on the bottom of Eccy Road.

Cheers guy. I usually commute to Sheffield by train so it isn't an area that I know the pubs too well. I've been in the Hammer & Pincers a few times but the lads don't like the beer and say the gents smells of pee.

Don't go in the Lescar then!

It's the area I live in and it's a bit of a desert for good pubs, unless you like chain pubs. The Psalter is OK, but a student favourite. The Banner Cross is the only proper pub in the area, just a basic boozer of the old variety. They're very close so you could try both.

---------- Post added 31-01-2014 at 17:52 ----------

Cheers guy. I usually commute to Sheffield by train so it isn't an area that I know the pubs too well. I've been in the Hammer & Pincers a few times but the lads don't like the beer and say the gents smells of pee.

The gents always smells of pee. What kind of 'lads' are they? :hihi:

Guest makapaka

Meet in the porter brook for one - walk round and have a couple in lescar. Go onto porter cottage. Head on to eccy road and call in la tasca for a San Miguel. If you're not drunk by that point get a cab to graze inn. Done.

Archived