Psalter pub. Is it any good?

Uptowngirl

Another shout for the Greystones, its my local and the beers are all top notch. Not the cheapest pub, but the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is very good.

They also have lots of bands/comedy nights in the back room if that might interest you.

this is true, the only problem is its out on a limb! however it is beltin

The Lescar is now a overpriced posh nosh pub. No soul in that joint anymore and the two pints I had in there last Saturday were ruined by the lass behind the bar not being able to pull a pint. Not good when it costs 8 pounds for two drinks. The Psalter is decent now days good beer and not a rip off. The Porter tav had cracking Abbeydale bitter on the other day top notch and heaving with a good mix of folks. The lescar by the way was dead.:hihi:

Cheers guy. I usually commute to Sheffield by train so it isn't an area that I know the pubs too well. I've been in the Hammer & Pincers a few times but the lads don't like the beer and say the gents smells of pee.

They are just taking the ****.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 16:46 ----------

You could try the Greystones as well.

http://www.mygreystones.co.uk/The_Pub.html

Again it's a Thornbridge pub so won't be massively cheap but it's always been ok when I've been in there.

I used to enjoy a lunchtime hour in there but stopped when they seemed to have started toddler screaming competitions.Some very powerful performers too.

Stay away from the Lescar I think. It is the closest pub to me and I have been there lots (I am lazy and have a few friends that like it), but it is expensive, souless and the manager is a foul person.

You are looking at £4 a pint for anything decent.

I have lived round here for years and there isn't many places to drink that aren't studenty or pretentious. The best places are probably the Stag if you want somewhere relatively quiet or the Porter Cottage if you want somewhere more lively. Both have a fairly good selection of drinks, with the Stag more Ale based and the Porter Cottage more lager based.

All blokes toilets smell of wee, its because we like to wee everywhere apart from where we are supposed to. We are rebels like that.

Porter Cottage is great, always lively, only three ales on but always good. Porter Brook, more beers on, not bad prices. Lescar, good range of ale but only the Moonshine is cheap (from memory), very pricey after that.

Psalter, not bad at all, you could do worse,

Porterbrook Tavern is also worth a shout.

Ah, my local pub for twelve years :love: Not to be pedantic but it's just called the Porter Brook, not the Porterbrook Tavern (thus named because the River Porter flows from Endcliffe Park right through at the back of the Porter Brook beer garden :)

They have a good variety of real ales, including Abbeydale Breweries ales rotating weekly.

Another good option (maybe borderline on the OP's prefered area) is The Rising Sun at Nethergreen - walk in and come face to face with going on for twenty draught pumps of independant brewery ales and lagers. See the bottle menu for the Belgian (and other) bottled lagers. The place is beer heaven, but distinctly more 'local' and more reserved in cliental than the Porter Brook.

Wish I was having a pint in the brook myself right now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived