Old fun fair ground on farmroad/granville road

I was not born until 1953, so a little younger than some of you here, but I certainly have distant memories of the fair on Granville Road.. so unless my memory takes me back to when I was only 2/3 it may have gone on a little longer than 55/56.

Mmmm! does'nt pay to get the dates wrong with you guys, but yes you could be right, it could have been a little later. (long time ago). Anyway" does Norfolk Park still exsist? seem to recall they had a really nice bowling green.

• 8 months later...
I remember going to the farm grounds when I was a kid,I remember there always used to be a man doing a high dive, where he would climb a hundred or so foot tower set fire to himself and dive off into a pool of water about 8ft accross and about 5ft deep.The attandants would drag him out ,and after a few minutes he would stagger to his feet waving to the crowd .....and then get ready for the evening performance:loopy: Must have been an easier way to earn a living:huh:

YeeHaa

Yep i was bout 6years old and i remember the diver.

what a fair that was acrobats tight rope walkers boxing tent were the public could pay to get your head knocked round all sorts of rides and booths me and my couson spent all our money six mile walk home spent our last bit of money to enter the boxing tent but it was not the boxing we went to see shall we say exotic dancer was not worth the walk but we had a good day out

Worked for the YEB early 50's wiring up all the marquees, tents and stalls etc.. Met my wife there in '54/55.

It was a big show, I think it carried on for a few more years, then I think it was moved to Endcliffe Park

I used to go to the Farm Grounds in the 40s at whitsuntide, but can't remember the fair being there then, we used to walk there from the catholic schools.

I remember the rhododendron bushes round the lake. and the pain of my new whitsunday shoes as we ran round and round the bushes.

hazel

• 3 months later...

Wasn't it Ling's Feast that was at the Farm Grounds in August? As soon as they had finished there, they went to Ecclesfield in Johnson Lane. It was brilliant, I can still see those steam yachts and hear the screams of the girls in them. Where did it all go to?

hazel there use to be catholic school on Edmund road at the time, is that the school you mean?

If so my sister use to go their in the same period.

I have just found this post Pippa, No, I think the shool on Edmound Rd was at that time St Maries.

Hazel

Archived