Do the Police have a "Duty of care" written into thier contracts of em

POLSKI

Diving out of town on the Sheffield Parkway this morning at approx 7.00am I saw a young lad walking / staggering out into the road and back onto the "hard shoulder" heading out of town. It looked pretty obvious he'd had a couple too many and was homeward bound.

I pulled over a few hundred yards in front of him and phoned the Police only to be asked umpteen and one questions about ME, (name, address, phone number etc) and then to describe the person on the Parkway ( what he was wearing, age etc etc) by which time I was getting somewhat concerned about the lads safety. When I suggested that, rather than subject me to all the questions , they send a Police car out I was told that all the questions were procedure. I lost my rag at this stage and told the Police incident controller I'd sort the lad out myself and that I wasn't prepared to answer questions whilst there was the potential for someone getting killed. To which the response was , "Would you like the incident number?" ......no prizes as to what I said at this point.

Needless to say I got the lad into my car and waited for the Police. After approx 8 minutes of being sat there like a lemon with this lad who was semi pickled, I thought "sod it", got his address and took him home.

What really peed me off was after chatting to him on the way home, it turns out he'd lost his wallett so initialy the taxi driver who HAD taken him home earlier, ended up taking him back to townand by the sound of it kicked him out where there were some Bobbies. The Police checked his pockets and found a couple of fivers which were given to the taxi driver (the lad seemed honest enough to me and said he didn't realise he had the fivers in his pocket) he was then asked by the Police as to where he lived, (Halfway as it turned out) and was told, " Well looos like you've got a long walk home !". The taxi driver has also told him thta he will be calling at his house today for another £25.

In my mind the Police were totally out of order letting this situation develop, where a young lad might have ended up as a road accident statistic.

I also told hin to tell his parents when he got in that if the taxi driver should turn up for his money, tell him where to get off.

Should the Police not have a "Duty of care" towards the public ?

I'm sure the police would have stopped if they'd seen him walking along the parkway. And I'm certain they didn't tell him to walk home that way!! You can't blame them for letting 'the situation develop'. The police aren't there to provide a taxi service to idiots that get too drunk to know what they're doing.

Just because they were asking you questions doesn't mean they hadn't already dispatched a police car to the scene.

Diving out of town on the Sheffield Parkway this morning at approx 7.00am I saw a young lad walking / staggering out into the road and back onto the "hard shoulder" heading out of town. It looked pretty obvious he'd had a couple too many and was homeward bound.

I pulled over a few hundred yards in front of him and phoned the Police only to be asked umpteen and one questions about ME, (name, address, phone number etc) and then to describe the person on the Parkway ( what he was wearing, age etc etc) by which time I was getting somewhat concerned about the lads safety. When I suggested that, rather than subject me to all the questions , they send a Police car out I was told that all the questions were procedure. I lost my rag at this stage and told the Police incident controller I'd sort the lad out myself and that I wasn't prepared to answer questions whilst there was the potential for someone getting killed. To which the response was , "Would you like the incident number?" ......no prizes as to what I said at this point.

Needless to say I got the lad into my car and waited for the Police. After approx 8 minutes of being sat there like a lemon with this lad who was semi pickled, I thought "sod it", got his address and took him home.

What really peed me off was after chatting to him on the way home, it turns out he'd lost his wallett so initialy the taxi driver who HAD taken him home earlier, ended up taking him back to townand by the sound of it kicked him out where there were some Bobbies. The Police checked his pockets and found a couple of fivers which were given to the taxi driver (the lad seemed honest enough to me and said he didn't realise he had the fivers in his pocket) he was then asked by the Police as to where he lived, (Halfway as it turned out) and was told, " Well looos like you've got a long walk home !". The taxi driver has also told him thta he will be calling at his house today for another £25.

In my mind the Police were totally out of order letting this situation develop, where a young lad might have ended up as a road accident statistic.

I also told hin to tell his parents when he got in that if the taxi driver should turn up for his money, tell him where to get off.

I do hope you rang the police back to cancel your request for assistance.

---------- Post added 01-02-2014 at 11:01 ----------

So you told the incident controller that you would sort the lad out yourself and then waited for the police to arrive ?:confused:

Sounds like he was smashed! Police that he came across should have locked him up for his own safety!

What a farce for you! and so true what your saying. So basically the police took all his money to give to the taxi driver, then left him to fend for himself.

The police.....in they're oaths or whatever ( when sworn in) make a promise to protect life and prevent injury as well as preventing crime?

Does this not count anymore?

:(

What a farce for you! and so true what your saying. So basically the police took all his money to give to the taxi driver, then left him to fend for himself.

The police.....in they're oaths or whatever ( when sworn in) make a promise to protect life and prevent injury as well as preventing crime?

Does this not count anymore?

:(

What would you expect them to do ?

No I didn't, and yes I should, but the attitude of the incident room Police officer and the fact I was late for work had got me , a tad irritated.

In reply to Angels quote, "The police aren't there to provide a taxi service to idiots that get too drunk to know what they're doing."

You're right they're not, but as you state, "too drunk to know what they're doing" , surely they have a Duty of care towards someone in this state.

Don't tell me you've never been sozzled; I have in my mis-spent youth and done stupid things and been lucky to have survived. This lad might not have !

They do have a duty of care - which would have involved locking him up, so they were probably doing him a favour.

If he really was capable of relaying that story to you in that much detail, he was either not as intoxicated as he appeared, or was intoxicated enough that the story probably wasn't an accurate account of what happened.

Archived