Has Hendersons Relish changed?

Bald Eagle

You used to just need a few drops on your stew. Now you need a quarter of a bottle to taste it. It's disappointing.

It is very disappointing...its definitely not the same as it used to be..god that makes me sound old...I remember putting it on mi chips beans an egg when I was a kid,as you said a few drops did ya,like little black ball bearings on ya plate now it just looks like vinegar sorry to say it but its rubbish.....

It is very disappointing...its definitely not the same as it used to be..god that makes me sound old...I remember putting it on mi chips beans an egg when I was a kid,as you said a few drops did ya,like little black ball bearings on ya plate now it just looks like vinegar sorry to say it but its rubbish.....

Its a bit like Stones not being the same...

I love Henderson's. Can't eat stew and dumplin's , meat n' tater pie - nor indeed any kind of savoury pie - without it! I also splash it liberally over a full English fried breakfast and on cheese on toast. I've lived away from Sheff for well over 30 years and have always brought myself a couple of bottles back with me from every visit. Over the years, my London friends have become so enamoured with it that they ask me to bring bottles of it back for them too. On my last visit, I ended up bringing 12 bottles of the damn stuff back with me - my hold-all bag weighed a ton!

However, as much as I still love Henderson's, I definitely agree that the taste of it has changed down the years. These days it's thinner, sweeter, less pungently vinegary - and it definitely tastes "garlicky". It never tasted of garlic when I was a kid in the 60'-early 70's.

As for Lea and Perrin's Worcestshire sauce - well - there's no comparison in my opinion. . Apart from the fact that they are both dark brown sauces/relishes, there's no other connection. I like them both, but they are two completely different products that need to be used in completely different ways. I'd never even dream of splashing Lea and Perrin's on my pie crust, but when I'm making a jug of Bloody Mary cocktails, it's Lea and Perrin's all the way - no way would I use Henderson's in a Bloody Mary!

Having taken it with me all around the world, I NEVER EVER thought I would speak of Henderson's Relish in derogatory terms, But, Having come to the end of a (? years old) 5 litre carton, I bought myself a 'new' bottle 2 weeks ago. whatever has happened to 'Sheffield's Elixr of Life'!?. It is not even a poor imitation of it's former self!. now it's simply a wishy-washy incomprehensibly weak (balsamic!?) vinegar tinged water, so thin it no longer leaves ANY of it's 'once lauded' residue down the inside of the bottle!. in fact the bottle is so 'internally brilliant'! once emptied, that if you were to rinse it under the tap, the water would leave more residue/stain in the bottle than it's previous contents, purported to be Henderson's Relish.

The manufacterer has finally 'Ripped the Soul' out of Hendo's & Sheffield Folk.

What they (the manufacturer) have done to It/Us is disgraceful, disrespectful and Downright Sacrilegious.

Hang your heads in shame.

L & p's is ok in a Bloody Mary, but otherwise (to be said in a Monty Python stylee outrageous French accent) "Pig-trough-toilet-water"!. :gag:

• 2 years later...

It's nice. It does the job on the pies etc but really don't you think people here make out like it's something truly special? It's a decent spicy condy-ment but that's it. Lee v Perrin is jist as good isn't it (except not if your a vegan according to my friend Imran).