Sheffield blitz

heldan

You lot are going to have to help me out with this. 

I'm pretty sure its the old Taylors eye witness [ Milton Street ?]  building back of the Moor. on the corner where the religious text is carved into the wall.] {Legend has it in my family is that it was carved into the wall over a long period of time by the local copper]

Anyway my point is at floor level on the front of the building built into the wall is a steel plate resembling a manhole cover bearing embossed words to the effect that it a  covering or entrance to an air raid shelter  .  {I remember when I saw it thinking that it looked out of place and should be both rescued and preserved

Both worth a look in you are interested in Sheffield history,

Sorry for the vagueness but its a long time since I was down that way

.http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26022&prevUrl=

Edited by Odd-jobs

I was born 31/08/1940. me and my mother were staying at my aunts on Collegiate Cres of Ecclesall rd on the night of the blitz w`e decided to go home to Worrall, a guy in Worrall had a car so he came to fetch us, I have bee told that we had an awful journey home dodging the bombs in Sheffieldwe arrived back in Worrall a few hours later, lucky to be alive.B.Couldwell.