Jiu Jitsu in Sheffield

Cyclone

Inosanto - you say the ‘material’ they do, which implies they are still doing it? So let me get this straight – they are practicing a martial art which they feel is ineffective and learning from an instructor who has presumably trained for several years to become an instructor in an art that he also feels is ineffective? The obvious question seems to be ‘why’?

I’m not sure what the point of your post is? That ju-jitsu doesn’t work because you’ve spoken to people it didn’t work for? That JKD is better because that’s what works for you? Surely what is apparent from your post is that not every martial art works for every individual, but we should all know that anyway. Not all techniques in ju-jitsu or any other art will be effective for every individual, but that is down to the individual to ‘absorb what is useful and discard what is not’ (using the late, great Bruce Lee’s words). If you’re not able to distinguish between the useful and the useless (for you), no matter what art you do, you could find yourself in trouble. I would have thought that in an art like Ju-Jitsu, which covers a wide range of skills, such as kicks, punches, throws, locks, blocks, chokes, ground-fighting, escapes, etc., there should be plenty to absorb (I have a DVD which shows Dan Inosanto incorporating Ju-Jitsu into JKD, so he obviously found something worth absorbing).

Just for the record, I know of several people who have found ju-jitsu effective, although I’ll be the first to admit that this proves nothing, just like the fact that you’ve spoken to people who found it ineffective also proves nothing. There are many reasons why an individual may win a fight or defend himself or herself successfully, not just the art they are practicing.

I’m sure that JKD is an excellent martial art, and Mark Hayes’ credentials are obviously superb (I’d have like to have trained in JKD myself if he hadn’t moved a little too far away – the swine! LOL), but to mention what a good art JKD is in a post in which you also mention the apparent lack of effectiveness of ju-jitsu seems like a ‘my style is better than your style’ debate. Maybe that’s unintentional? Or maybe I’m reading it wrong (but from the other comments posted, I don’t think I’m the only person to read it that way). If you’d wanted to comment on your experiences of JKD, or on your particular class/instructor, perhaps it might have been a little more considerate to have started another topic instead of posting on Cyclone’s ju-jitsu thread (not that Mark needs ‘biggin’ up’ anyway as he posts on here himself).

I hope I haven’t offended – that isn’t my intention - I just think that your post could give the wrong impression and I’m simply intending to try and redress the balance a little (although Cyclone’s post does appear to provide a balanced assessment of ju-jitsu).

No offence is meant by the above postings.i would also agree that the effectiveness of the art is down to the individual and how they train. I am of the same view also that, if the instructor feels his art is ineffective then "why " teach it, but then, it is a martial arts form, whether you train for the art itself or the effectiveness.

JKd also offers you the option of training in various arts where as some traditional art forms look down on the cross training arena.

I also feel that you are never too old to train in the martial arts as long as you train in an art that is accepting to any physical problems or disabilities a person may have, this was also stressed in this months review of disabled people in martial arts by blackbelt magazine, referring to JKD as the ideal art for it's ideas. And lets face it, at the end of the day, if we could see two people outside fighting, would we know which art they came from?

No art is better than another, it is the instructor that makes it better or worse, and if the techniques taught are not taught with resistance then the art then becomes ineffective for the student/teacher.

apologies for any offence caused

• 10 months later...

I am a beginner and want to start Jujutsu. I want basic self-defence - I am not interested in becomming a 'champion' but I would like to learn something genuine.

Could someone point me to the various styles in Sheffield, where they are, and their strengths and weaknesses etc. And what is the difference between traditional and sport Jujutsu - should I be concerned about one or the other and why?

Before I start, I'd like to take a look around and compare. I have looked on other links and have a little info, but not much. Castle BBA & Abbeydale - how do they compare - are they the same group? Others? And someone told me Aikido is like Jujutsu. Is that true?

Is there a list of Jujutsu contacts anywhere?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers ...

from my experience castle is good if you're wanting to go for more than 3 hours a week.

you pay a monthly fee, and go whenever you want

their teachers are all very good, and their Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is particularly good (the kinda stuff you see on UFC) - if you live close enough its worth going definately. I live all the way across town and had no way of getting there/back easily (its impossible to find buses from upperthorpe to chesterfield road)

definately worth checking out.

The traditional arts (karate, kung fu, judo,) will teach you good self control, will get you fit, but will not teach you practical ways of fighting. Good for sport fighting, good for general self control, but my problem was the lack of physical contact.

Taekwondo, in my opinion, is not worth entering into unless you are going purely for fitness or sport fighting. It is pretty useless for self defence and has a lot of people teaching it that shouldnt be.

Muay Thai is the most "effective" striking art, but I think its quite hard to get into, and you can be expected to be beaten up the first few times. likewise I think thats the case with boxing gyms.

erm, I'm in the same boat, looking for somewhere to train that isnt gonna murder me but is gonna keep me on my toes.

if you find anywhere let me know

Archived