Jiu Jitsu in Sheffield

Cyclone

Originally posted by belfastblade

I thought the head of style was called Soke?

I think soke is Chinese. A few seconds of research has turned up this

The word "soke" is rarely used in Japan where, if it is used at all, it strongly implies loyalty to existing schools, deference to ancestral authority, and conservative adherence to traditional forms. Whereas, in the west, it is often incorrectly used to mean either founder or grandmaster of an existing or newly created martial arts training system.

and

shihan is just a word that means, roughly speaking, an exemplar, a master or master teacher. Sensei means teacher, too, though it is also used for people who are physicians, dentists, even lawyers and politicians

So in the style I belong too all instructors are Sensei (Teacher) and the head of style is Shihan (Master Teacher).

Originally posted by Carl_Malibu

The traditional arts (karate, kung fu, judo,) will teach you good self control, will get you fit, but will not teach you practical ways of fighting. Good for sport fighting, good for general self control, but my problem was the lack of physical contact.

Judo - lack of physical contact?

Where were you training?!!!

• 1 month later...

Any martial art that gets people training is cool.

We have just started an adult Jiu- jitsu club in Dronfield, Monday nights at 8 PM at the Henry Fanshaw Dronfield School in the upper movement hall, Green Lane.

I graded directly under Royce Gracie and have trained with Rigan and Roger Machado as well as the Gracies in Torrance.

Predominantly we are Brazilian Jiu-jitsu based and for those that haven't heard of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu check out Royce Gracie on the internet. We are not a Gracie school but use the principle Royce uses which is don't get injured while training. If you are fit to train, you get better so look after you and look after your training partners and get better together.

Any fitness level is OK and no prior knowledge is needed.

We are relaxed and do it for the love of it and to have fun -students and all and we believe in sharing knowledge.

0114-2557763

I first started training in 96 under a guy called Brian Graham.

That doesn't tell you much though. In total i've probably not spent more than 20 hours on the mat with him, he's my head of style, but doesn't teach my local club.

So, how much training, once a week, once a month, once a year?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I train between 6 and 8 hours a week typically. All this is Brazilian at different clubs around the country as i travel a lot in the week. On a good week I may get 16 hours in.

Its a passion with me, a way of life and the best way I know to make friends.

BJJ has basics that are simple but there are always new refinements and because I train all over the place, every club I train at has its own strengths and are always welcoming.

I do it to keep fit, keep the brain active and hang out with cool like minded people.

How about your self ?

At the moment I only train for 2.5hrs, teach for 1.5 and attend a 5 hr course with similar grades once a month. I would train more but work keeps interfearing.

It's not BJJ that i'm training in, you'd probably consider it to be 'traditional' JJ although we are introducing more groundfighting elements into the syllabus, drawing on both judo and BJJ sources.

cool, well if you want me to come up and share some ground techniques let me know, also i am always willing to learn new stuff thats why I do it. I've trained with the Machados as well in Los Angeles which is very similair to the Gracie method.

Catch you later

Archived