How long has Cameron got?

That would be my viewpoint.

Winning the last election was a bit of a poison chalice for the Con/Dems, because they had no choice but to make a lot of unpleasant decisions to sort out the financial mess.

I couldn't imagine the electorate stomaching it and thought Labour would be a certainty at the next election, but their leadership just doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever. If they'd got a John Smith type character I think they would have it in the bag, but unfortunately for them they don't.

I still think Labour are probably favourites, but I don't think there's a lot in it.

Regards

Doom

I agree with everything except the end result. In the cold light of day and about to cast that ballot a voter has to think.

"After 5 years of austerity clearing up that mess, now things are on the up do I really want to risk going through it all again?"

I hope he's toast and all his little mates in 2015. Clegg has blown it so i think he'll be licking his wounds. Milliband I think (and hope) just might save us from these people who keep telling us we're all in it together but are certainly not living what they ram down our throats.

But if the Tories do get in Cameron will be ditched afterwards as Major was before. he'll have served his purpose. But hey! Michael Gove apparently has leadership desires - sure we'll all sleep very well with him in charge! ;)

Forgive me if I am wrong but, you appear to not know the first thing about how Major stopped being the leader of the Tory party, but we are expected to believe your predictions on how the election will turn out, based on this very lack of knowledge :huh:

Clegg has blown it so i think he'll be licking his wounds.

What makes you think that? Sheffield (forum) opinion and the media's portrayal of Clegg are very one sided. Don't forget that the Lib Dems won Eastleigh not so long back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21625726

But if the Tories do get in Cameron will be ditched afterwards

Again, what makes you think that? Cameron has a very strong position in the party.

if the conservatives don't get an overall majority of mps after the next general election, but are the largest party, and assuming there isn't a lib/lab coalition, i can see cameron remaining as leader and PM

i'd be surprised to see another lib/con coalition, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the libdems broadly supporting a minority conservative government on economic policy and taking a view on any other policies on a case by case basis

i used to take the view that labour would win a small majority - i think the odds are still slightly in favour of this although less so than they were 12 months ago - but i still think labour will be the largest single party and will probably be able to form a government with the support of plaid cymru and snp

i doubt ukip will win a seat, but i do think that the conservatives could lose a few seats to the libdems as a consequence of ukip support

and, of course, if the conservatives win a majority, it ought to mean that cameron would be PM for as long as he wants, but don't under-estimate the short-sighted selfishness of the anti-euro hardliners in his party

What makes you think that? Sheffield (forum) opinion and the media's portrayal of Clegg are very one sided. Don't forget that the Lib Dems won Eastleigh not so long back.

Again, what makes you think that? Cameron has a very strong position in the party.

Cameron actually has a much weaker position with the party than you think. He had a pretty disastrous day in the commons re: immigration very recently with almost 100 back benchers rebelling.

He is also pro-EU when most of the right wing of his party are not. Even cabinet ministers like Gove and Hammond have publicly stated their preference for an EU exit.

He has lost a huge chunk of the party on those two issues alone. Either is like a bomb waiting to go off at any time.

Cameron does have his good moments but to appease his party and combat UKIP he has to keep moving further to the right. I don't think the country is ready, or ever will be ready for an overtly right wing government. Even Mrs Thatch for all her faults did have the beneficial moderating influence of a strong Tory left, with Heseltine, Clarke and Young often dragging the party back towards the centre from the worst excesses.

And unfortunately Clegg has killed the possibility of a party going into an election pretending to be centrist but really being something else - the electorate are wise to that now.

Festering in the background we have the trial of the century, close friends of Cameron being tried for serious crimes. If they go down it is going to reflect very badly on him.

He hasn't the slightest idea what to do about UKIP.

Don't confuse wishful thinking by the left wing labour support here with what will actually happen. They are prone to delusions and are more concerned with back slapping that actually doing anything. This is why Labour is in such a bad way.

It is quite funny re Clegg. Those who wish him ill in his Sheffield constituency are presumably Labour voters. But if Clegg doesn't win the seat the Tories will. I just wonder who they think they are fighting at the next election.

If Cameron wins the next election he will be in a very strong position within the party. There again the last time the Tories changed leader mid term was when Major took over from Thatcher. It seems most folk missed the fact that Major came from nowhere in the polls to win the general election in his own right. Certainly something Gordon Brown failed to do.

As far as I can remember only Tony Blair has led Labour to a victory in a general election for around 38 years, and most folk in Sheffield say Blair wasn't Labour anyhow.

When I read the contributions above it seems to me that people take up pretty entrenched positions without discussing the actual issues.

From here (US) it looks as though Labour were a catastrophe under Brown. Certainly they get the blame over here for precipitating the international banking crisis and all that followed. (maybe a little unfairly)

Cameron and the Tories seem to be repairing the damage.

It seems to me that many of the Labour supporters are bogged down in the class war merely mouthing insults and actually making little or no comments on what they would actually do if in power.

It is quite funny re Clegg. Those who wish him ill in his Sheffield constituency are presumably Labour voters. But if Clegg doesn't win the seat the Tories will. I just wonder who they think they are fighting at the next election.

Yep, Labour came a convincing 3rd in the Hallam constituency. The swing was from Tory to Lib Dem so next time this may reverse. Labour would need to pull off a swing that has never been seen before to win that seat.

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 13:24 ----------

When I read the contributions above it seems to me that people take up pretty entrenched positions without discussing the actual issues.

From here (US) it looks as though Labour were a catastrophe under Brown. Certainly they get the blame over here for precipitating the international banking crisis and all that followed. (maybe a little unfairly)

Cameron and the Tories seem to be repairing the damage.

It seems to me that many of the Labour supporters are bogged down in the class war merely mouthing insults and actually making little or no comments on what they would actually do if in power.

Its like youre holding up a mirror in some of your posts :D

...but i still think labour will be the largest single party and will probably be able to form a government with the support of plaid cymru and snp

Both PC and SNP support independence for their respective countries. The chances of them forming a coalition with Labour is zero. It would make their calls for independence redundant.

Archived