Gove : Bring Back 'Old Fashioned' Punishments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26003722

Do you agree, and if so, what kinds of 'traditional' punishments do you think would work best in schools (and why?)

If you disagree, what solution do you proposeto deal with the (alleged) 700,000 unruly pupils in our schools whose behaviour damages the teaching and learning of others?

Or don't you think it is a problem at all and just another half-baked, soundbitten 'stunt' by Gove?

No, think it's a bad idea to start caning of physical punishment for pupils. Better to scrap benefits, and make school optional (or even pay for it, on a per student basis), that way if people want to f**k around at school they can! but they'll reap the consequence of no education and no career (so, no money, no food, then starve and die).

No, think it's a bad idea to start caning of physical punishment for pupils. Better to scrap benefits, and make school optional (or even pay for it, on a per student basis), that way if people want to f**k around at school they can! but they'll reap the consequence of no education and no career (so, no money, no food, then starve and die).

That could only be remotely moral if we were talking about adults.

Why should children be deprived of a free education (generally acknowledged as a right in a civilised society), simply because their parents can't or won't pay for it?

I shall assume your post was a wind-up.:)

Idiotic idea. If people are uneducated we all reap the consequences. If we have a growing mass of uneducated people (starving people with no money) then society would begin to disintegrate.

Idiotic idea. If people are uneducated we all reap the consequences. If we have a growing mass of uneducated people (starving people with no money) then society would begin to disintegrate.

I think Waldo was just being attention-seekingly outrageous!

I was military school educated in the 1960's you dare not mess about or back chat any of the teachers or you were in big trouble you had to do as you were told or else,they would think nothing about giving you a kicking it taught me respect that's for sure,its respect that a lot of young kids don't seem to have nowadays,I don't think beating kids up is a good idea but they need a ridged format to stick to.the thing I can remember most is the feeling of letting your mates down if you failed at something it was like you were all in it together comradeship,they never had corporal punishment or anything like that it was just installed into you from get go respect...

Whilst agreeing with some of what you say , I would profoundly disagree with you on a lot of your methodology and, on some of your conclusions .

Quite often , the lack of respect is a shortcoming from the home environment as well as at school .

I was aware of the over disaplinarianship of some teachers , which resulted in the alienation of pupils .

Some of the teachers were " overzealous " in their meting out of punishment which , again , alienated their charge .As a consequence they became isolated from their fellow pupils .

Some of the pupils would then see the isolated pupil with a degree of "bravado" , looking up to the isolated individual . Henceforth a creation of group bullying .

Whilst not suggesting for one moment that you are bully , unfortunately , some of the ex-members of the armed forces have attracted this unfortunate label.

Living near three large schools I have mostly seen nothing but well behaved , considerate wonderful young kids . Indeed , I have commented to two parents that their children are a credit to them to be proud of .

I would not wish to generalise on either the youngsters of today , nor on the adults .

For my experience 99.9% are first class individuals .

Yes , you will get the exception, as in all cases .

Look for the good - not the bad - I am sure you will not be disappointed .

Many uneducated people work and some even run large companies.

Many educated people don't work and claim benefits.

If our politicians, of any colour, are serious about improving discipline in schools, they would do well to look beyond the school gates for the answer.

Most of the worst disruptive behaviour happens in schools which serve the most deprived communities. These are the ones with little stake in society and little belief that toeing the line will get them anywhere at all. This results in some of those people exhibiting some pretty appalling behaviour, both in school and outside. The Tories don't appear too interested in tackling this problem, Labour ignored it too.

So, if Gove really wants schools to improve discipline, the answer is in his own party's hands. Proper regeneration of run-down urban areas, real job prospects and a realistic stake in society for all. That's all that it would take:rolleyes:

That could only be remotely moral if we were talking about adults.

Why should children be deprived of a free education (generally acknowledged as a right in a civilised society), simply because their parents can't or won't pay for it?

I shall assume your post was a wind-up.:)

I'm not trying to wind anyone up. While the finer details may need some tweaking, I don't think my proposal is entirely without merit...

Education is never free by the way, it's paid for either through taxation out of the public purse, or directly, where people pay to go private.

I'm more inclined to the self-reliance end of the self-reliance - interdependency continuum in society. Too much interdependence and things start to break (as they are doing), people become weak and dependent on others, which is no good for the individual or for society at large.

In the natural world, there are serious consequences for not applying yourself full to the business of thriving and surviving. Creatures in the natural world, are out of necessity, fit for purpose on a level few humans achieve, whereas, in the human realm, it's like (to use an analogy) being in a rowing boat, everyone has an oar, but nobody really tries all that hard because they know someone else will take up the slack. Thus, we foster and encourage all kinds of ineptitude and dysfunction, as there are no real consequences for taking the ****.

Im all in favour of bringing back the Cane. It should never have been banned in the first place.

---------- Post added 02-02-2014 at 20:00 ----------

Gove is talking out of his rear again. Cheap political stunt, nothing more.

Whats wrong with the cane................ never did us any harm. (And yes, I had it once or twice )

---------- Post added 02-02-2014 at 20:02 ----------

Well, you can forget corporal punishment for a start. It's illegal.

Unfortunately.

Archived