Gove : Bring Back 'Old Fashioned' Punishments

More like anything the teachers unions think is a bad idea, probably is. They have ruined state schooling in the last 30 years, and now the private sector has surged ahead, they think the problem is with the private sector! How about teaching kids what they need to get on in life instead of preaching left-wing dogma?

More like anything the teachers unions think is a bad idea, probably is. They have ruined state schooling in the last 30 years, and now the private sector has surged ahead, they think the problem is with the private sector! How about teaching kids what they need to get on in life instead of preaching left-wing dogma?

I assume that you had a trendy leftie English teacher.

It is the only possible explanation for your incoherent ramblings.

:hihi: You and quite a few others.

Bu they, while we are talking about him we are not focusing on Cameron wanting more Tories in key jobs ect, so I think he is doing something right for someone.

The placemen story is going to get much bigger in the coming week.

Seems very simple to me, kids misbehave partly because there are no natural negative consequences for bad behaviour.

but mostly when they are bored or want attention.

You can't stop kids from learning, they do it all the time even without realising it. The problem is the people teaching then are often doing it without realising it too.

I blame the parents.

but mostly when they are bored or want attention.

You can't stop kids from learning, they do it all the time even without realising it. The problem is the people teaching then are often doing it without realising it too.

I blame the parents.

Sorry, but that's very confusing. The people teaching then/them (?) are doing what all the time without realising it too? Teaching? Learning? Stopping [the kids] learning?

Please clarify.

More like anything the teachers unions think is a bad idea, probably is. They have ruined state schooling in the last 30 years,

How, exactly have teachers 'ruined it'? I was teaching in state schools 30 years ago and although it was a much more rewarding and less stressful profession for teachers to be in than it is now (morale is now at rock bottom and 50% of new teachers leave within 5 years - what a waste), it wasn't necessarily a place where all kids were pushed (as they are now) to achieve their personal best.

30 years ago there were no targets, no SAT tests and no comeback if your GCSE and A level results were worse than they should have been (because there was no prior attainment data to judge how good they 'could have ' been). Teachers' performance is now monitored to the nth degree - it certainly wasn't in the 80s - and you cannot abandon the scheme of work and watch videos all lesson, as some teachers regularly used to in those allegedly halycon days you hark back to. Education has certainly changed; teachers work harder than ever before and for less money, but I cannot understand how you think it has changed for the worse, from the consumers' perspective. Judging by the rightwing tone of most of your comments, I am struggling to see why on earth you you would wish to go back to the education system as it was 30 years ago!

and now the private sector has surged ahead, they think the problem is with the private sector! How about teaching kids what they need to get on in life instead of preaching left-wing dogma?
Rubbish. The private sector has done nothing of the sort. More private schools closed down in 2013 than in any year since 1939. More of their pupils returned to the state sector than in any year since the 80s. Generally speaking they educate the most materially privileged 6% of the nation's children and an increasing number of foreign pupils, many of whom do not speak English and who are hacking off the English speaking ones by slowing lessons down. It's hardly 'surging ahead'.

If the exam results for British pupils in indep. schools appear good, it is because many of the cohort are of above average ability - probably because their parents are generally bright, materially successful people and the kids they inherited their parents' genes - plus, they come from families where they can afford to fill any gaps with private tutoring. You are not comparing comparable groups of pupils. State grammar schools get better results with similar profile pupils, than independent schools, and many comprehensives achieve much better 'value added' results than independent schools, despite having fewer resources. Private school are not surging ahead, they are hanging on by their fingernails. They survive only because rich Chinese parents are starting to leave their kids there to board so they can get an 'English education' and they aren't of course eligible to get into a state school. God help them, poor things.

And if you think that the private sector teaches kids 'what they need to know in life' you have clearly never spent much time in one! The one near us could do with teaching the blighters about contraception, for a start - they had 6 pupils fall pregnant last year, sadly. They could also teach them some manners, since their pupils are a byword in the local town for being rude and arrogant. However, I suppose that's the parents' job, not the school's - what do you mean by 'what they need to know in life', exactly?

Archived