Police cottages,frecheville.

gavnmel

Since moving to the area of frecheville some years ago,we recentley moved to the bottom end of frecheville just of alport road in a cul de sac.

At one end of the road there is a dead end where 4 stone built semi`s are,totally different from the other builds.

I once heard that they used to be a police station?can anyone back this up?:help:

I cannot be sure about the 4 brick houses at the end of Alport Road. But I do definitely know that there was a police station/homes at the top of Frecheville at the junction of Fox Lane & Hopefield Avenue. I used to pass them daily before taking the lane down to Base Green Junior school. As I remember there was a central door into the police station desk; this seems to have been bricked up and you can just make out the newer brickwork.

The 4 houses on Alport Road are of the same construction and the 2 on the RH side also look to have had the central door bricked up (but the central garden gate remains).

Hopefully someone who lives down there can give a better reply.

Since moving to the area of frecheville some years ago,we recentley moved to the bottom end of frecheville just of alport road in a cul de sac.

At one end of the road there is a dead end where 4 stone built semi`s are,totally different from the other builds.

I once heard that they used to be a police station?can anyone back this up?:help:

Many moons ago two friends of mine used to live on Peakdale Crescent, adjacent to Alport Road and at that time they knew a police officer who lived at the end of Alport. I would imagine, therefore, that the four houses you are interested in were built by the police authority and could well have operated as a police station. They are also virtually identical in building style to the station at the junction of Fox Lane and Hopefield Avenue mentioned by BrianW which corroborates the theory. Hope that helps.

echo.

• 2 weeks later...

The brick houses were build for Derbyshire Police prior to the 1967 land grab by Sheffield. They were identical to the pair on Fox Lane and a further two on the Basegreen side of the Nab. These were the standard Derbyshire Police type usually with an office in the middle. I remember Pc's Bill Jackson, Alec Donaldson and Mick Harper lived there at some point and my father lived on Fox Lane at what was then the Police Station. There were also Police Houses on the Henry Boot Estate and a further one on Fox Lane.

Archived